Author Topic: Handles for selfbows  (Read 7063 times)

king3933

Handles for selfbows
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:40:50 am »
When making a handle for a selfbow made out of a board is there a certain pattern to go by and rules of thumb to use as a guide? I never seem to get them to look like they due on other bows. They fit my hand and feel good but the general shape seems to be different then say on a Hill bow. Any advice would be of great help also backing with dry wall tape does this help cast in any way or just a breaking preventive? Also is there a certain type of dry wall tape to use or just any kind will due?

God Bless:
Gary

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Handles for selfbows
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 11:46:55 am »
I personally wouldn't use drywall tape, but thats just me. Lots of other backing will work just as well. A simple backing like drywall tape, brown paper bag or linen are primarily for insurance reasons and not to add performance. Sinew, bamboo or hickory will add performance to a self bow.
   I prefer the Torges type bulbous handles for self bows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:16:31 pm »
The only rule of thumb for me is you have to like it.  If it is comfortable to you then don't worry about it.  There are lots of different styles of handle.  You are making the bow to make yourself happy. So make the handle that makes yourself happy.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 01:32:53 pm »
       ........................... I like "bendy handle", meanin' no handle, usually no grip wrap either..............bob

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 10:12:28 pm »
Bob, you cave man ;D ;D ;D

Of all the backing out there, drywall tape ??
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 11:08:17 pm »
im doing my very first bow and i backed it with drywall tape. i hope that it isn't to bad because i want my bow to turn out good.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 07:55:34 am »
David don't worry about the drywall tape, the main thing is take yer time and you should be allright.
If you post some pics everyone here will help with the tillering etc. Don't be too disappointed if your 1st
bow doesn't come out as you envisioned, if it holds together than you were successful. There will a 2nd and 3rd
bow soon, as it sounds like you have the addiction. ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 12:59:04 pm »
ok im going to start tillering as soon as i get my strings. ill post pics once my mom comes back home with the digital.

it will probably be a week but probably two by the time im finished

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 01:35:46 pm »
David, Don't worry about when you will be finished! Take it a step at a time, use good judgment, don't get in a rush and it will be a shooter before you know it. ;) We will be here when she's ready to show off! ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 02:30:17 pm »

thanks Pat B.  ill take it slow and  make it right. I wont rush it

king3933 sorry for highjacking your thread

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 12:50:43 am »
I sometimes see selfbow handles that are much too high, usually narrow and high. Bows with this type of handle are real easy to torque when you shoot. I make my bow-handle combination no more tan 1 1/2" thick.