Author Topic: Trade bow started again  (Read 1315 times)

Offline tetaxidermy

Trade bow started again
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:35:15 pm »
Here we go again, my hackberry ended up 10lbs to light and took a little to much set for my liking. Probably should have went a little longer with a stiff handle, will post pics of it latter. Here is what I got now. Funny thing is, it is the stave I had picked from the start, but has a bit of a concave back and wasn't sure how to deal with it. 68'' long osage 1 1/2'' wide right now and tapers to 1/2'' in the last 10''. It has natural flipped tips just have to line them up. See what you guys think shooting for 50# at 25'' any sugestions, I think I can take some off the width just not sure how much.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline peshikthe

• short time here, never forgotten
Re: Trade bow started again
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:07:44 pm »
i love osage, and that looks twisty and fun just like i like em, 50 at 25 will be a great goal, cant wait to see the finished product.   
im a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:27:06 pm »
Looks like a good start. I think I would shorten the bow a bit if the draw length will be 25". 64" to 66" should be plenty. Bring the width out only 8" or so from the fades then a straight taper to the tips.  If you find your limbs getting too thin as you tiller reduce the width a bit at that time.
  A longer handle area reduces the working area and add more stress to the working area. If you can get the bend back to the fades(the actual transition from non-working and working areas) you will spread out those stresses that cause excess set.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:30:06 pm »
Have done as Pat suggested, on the long string now, scrape scrape bend bend. Will post pics as I go, want to hit it right.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 03:20:08 pm »
Here is my progress so far from long string to small brace about 3'', giving the wood a bit of a rest, going to try and catch a few fish with the wife and kids. String goes almost through the center of the handle, off to one side a bit. Mabey a little heat correction so it don't slap the wrist.
The Shawshank Redemption