Author Topic: Tillering for 3 under shooters?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline John W. Cooper

• Bronze Bow Archery
Tillering for 3 under shooters?
« on: June 19, 2011, 07:54:24 am »
Hello,

This will be a first for me.  I was asked to build a reflex-deflex bow for a "3-under" shooter.  With folks who shoot split-finger, I usually go with an 1/8" positive tiller.  I build symmetrical limbed bows. How would I go about adjusting for this?

Thanks a lot,
John
It is God who arms me with strength
   and keeps my way secure.
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he causes me to stand on the heights.
He trains my hands for battle;
   my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
~Psalm 18:32-34

Offline PeteC

Re: Tillering for 3 under shooters?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:21:33 am »
I never really considered it before,but,I suppose since the hand will be one finger down the string,a "dead even" tiller might work a little smoother than a positive tiller.JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:43:27 am »
If we generally have the lower limb somewhat stronger due to the extra stress it receives, then it would seem that an even stronger lower limb would be the way to go. If you think about it, you would really be more than one finger down, as you have the diameter of the arrow also. This will inevitably put more stress on the lower limb, justifying a stronger lower limb.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:47:37 am »
I shoot 3 under, and usually just have to pull it and see what it looks like.  But I have been tilering for up to 1/4" positive, and thats working so far.
Westminster, MD

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 11:35:35 am »
I shoot 3 fingers under and build symmetrical bows as well, if the wood lets me.  I tiller the bow to where both limbs are bending well, and then I make the stiffer limb the lower one.  If I goof up before I get to full draw I can switch back as I use cork rests under the leather wrap.  I would guess I'm around 1/4" stiffer on the lower limb, but I never measure it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:55:55 am »
   Tiller your bows the same as you always do. I know some tiller postive or make the lower limb longer or stonger. I've done all of these things at one time or another but none of it really seems to matter it the bows tiller right in the first place. I make limbs even and tiller even and have for at least 15 years and had lots of 3 under shooters pull there bows for me. I could never see where it changed the tiller when I look at it or from the tillering tree. I've even rechecked 4 bows after they've been shot for years. And have looked as they drew and put them on a tillering tree and nothings changed. So I say if there tiller right the first time and the well seasoned they won't change. but everyone builds bows different and the all work, this may tell you something. There simple wood bows I like to keep it this way. JUST MY 2 CENTS
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline John W. Cooper

• Bronze Bow Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »
So, basically just keep doin' what I'm doin'...maybe an 1/8" stronger bottom limb.  These wooden bows are so forgiving!   8)  Thanks you for your input and help.

John
   and keeps my way secure.

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:59 am »
I shoot 3 under and have also played with ILF bows with adjustable tiller.The more pos the tiller the higher I have to raise the nock point to tune. I like even to 1/8" pos tiller.I can shoot 1/4" pos ok but anything more and the nock has to be so high I don't like it.Bows with even to 1/8" pos tiller are also quieter and behave better for me.

Offline John W. Cooper

• Bronze Bow Archery
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:41:21 am »
R H, That makes sense with what I've heard FG bowyers call "timing" of the limbs.  When the limbs recover at the same time, the bow shoots a lot better and much more quietly.  That would be fun to play around with those ILF adjustable tiller bows.  I'm sure you'd learn a lot about tillering from them.

~John
   and keeps my way secure.