Author Topic: Pair of Hawks  (Read 8122 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Pair of Hawks
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:40:45 pm »
A few months ago I finally got around to building a bow for Bobby Keller(Boo). Actually the first one I built developed a problem so I started a new bow for Bobby with a stave from Tom Brennan, a mutual friend that had passed away a few years ago. Bobby had given me the original stave. I told Bobby I would repair and finish up the original bow and Bobby asked that I make it for his daughter for Christmas.  Well, I got them both done and delivered before Christmas.  ;D
  Bobby asked what I wanted in return and I asked him if he would make a railroad spike hawk. For those that don't know Bobby, he is a very talented bladesmith. My favorite hunting knife I got from Bobby in a bow trade also.
Well, Bobby made me 2! I got them in the mail the other day. I am very pleased with these beautiful hawks.  Thanks a bunch Bobby.  Here are a few pics...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Pair of Hawks
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:16:05 am »
those are nice Pat!   :) :) What do you think it would take to get him to trade me just a forged hawk if I make the handle?  I really really really want one of those.  I got one from Pennhawk last year and I love it to death.  I really want another one.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 12:19:57 am »
Good lord, I think I just fell in love!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:51:11 am »
Josh, contact Bobby. He goes by Boo here on PA. He likes to trade!  ;)
  They are sweet arent they John. I can't wait to spend a little time alone with them.  ;D 
  I told Bobby I wanted more than a throwing hawk. I wanted a good all purpose camp ax too. Both of these fit the bill but the head with the tiger maple handle is my favorite. The spike head has been flattened which makes it better for driving stakes or even nailing nails in a pinch.  I'll have to test both hawks to see which one works best for cuttung saplings for bows too.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:17:03 pm »
Beautiful hawks,good job.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 06:56:55 pm »
Very cool. Nice pair of hawks for a nice pair of bows.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 07:15:16 pm »
Those are just beautiful.  Probably my favorite hawks of all I've seen on here.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:33:32 pm »
Those are some very handsome hawks! Pat, you aughta get ahold of a small forge and get busy ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:37 pm »
I agree with the rest super nice hawks, I'm guessing made from r r spikes, I've got to try it been wanting a hawk for a while.
john 3:16

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 09:12:53 pm »
Those are nice. I wish I new Bobby made those along time ago, I'd have been a trading fool.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Lombard

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 12:25:34 am »
Pat, twice the nice. Looks like they would have a good balance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 01:19:16 am »
I've just been admiring them since they got here so haven't tried to throw them. They do feel good in the hand.
  Anyone have an idea for a sheath or head cover?

Offline boo

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:08 pm »
Hey Pat, Glad you liked them, Ive done some chopping with them and threw them a couple of times. Didnt want to scar them up to much before you got them. i was pleased with the way they performed. Hope you are.  Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Boo

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:18:12 am »
Man them are sweet,just a beautiful pair :). Very nice work. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ohma2

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:59 am »
man thats a pair to draw to if ever i saw. i to would be proud to pack one of them.