Author Topic: Best way to do a fade job with dye  (Read 1647 times)

Offline JonW

Best way to do a fade job with dye
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »
I am looking for different methods of fading one color into another with dyes. Let's hear 'em!

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Best way to do a fade job with dye
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:26:40 pm »
Use whatever medium you used to apply the dye and pull one color into the other.  Be careful or you'll end up with something that looks like mud.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »
If you have access to an air brush or some type of sprayer, I have something you can try.  I've seen it done but never tried it myself.  You can cut out a piece of cardboard in whatever shape you want the transition to be (eg. a "V" shaped transition on a bow limb), and suspend it about an inch or so above the limb (sitting on stacks of pennies or something.  Then when you spay it, the transition will fade into the other color, rather than have a distinct border.

There are probably easier ways, this is just a painting technique I've seen that I thought might be helpful.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:52:27 pm »
Cardboard and a air brush ? Reminds me of the way we crested arrows when I was a kid !! Thanks for the memory jog !!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline dbb

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »
Another way is by "dry sponging"
Do the  lighter/less opaque color color first and lightly dab the darker color over the transition with an almost dry sponge.
I use a piece of cardboard to dab off excess dye and judge when it looks right.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:15:41 pm »
I use denatured alcohol. Check out Gordon's hazelnut build along to see how to do it... It works great with a little practice.