Author Topic: maple in ga?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline jham

maple in ga?
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:11:28 am »
would the maple trees in Georgia make a good bow? reading up it sounds like they would either be red maple or florida maple. My uncle has several of them around a pond that are straight and knot free. What would be the best way to go about it? chase a ring or just debark?

Offline Bow Nut

Re: maple in ga?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:51:13 pm »
hey cant comment on the maple to much as I am new to self bows but what I have read is all hard maples can make a good bow.  what part of ga are you from I live in atlanta.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:29:49 pm »
Red maple is a "soft" maple. Its not a hard maple/sugar maple. Its not as good as sugar maple but still can make a lower poundage bow if designed correctly. I made my son a kids bow out of red maple. There should be better woods than that in your area such as hickories/pecan,hophornbeam,etc....just do some research on what's available as good bow wood in your area

Offline jham

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 06:08:11 pm »
I'm down in Brunswick. There is some pecans around, but not that I can cut. I dont know of any hickory closer than fort stewart. Plenty of oaks and sweetgums around, which I know both can make a bow, but was hoping for the maple as there was plenty I could cut and several straight and knot free. Im working on a board bow until I find a good stave(s),  so no rush on finding a tree, but yall know how it is.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »
You can make a bow from it, use wide limbs, and keep the weight low. We call it Water Mape down here. You guy's should have some Chinaberry or Cedar up there.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:47:58 am »
lots of pines and oaks in south ga. you should have some useable oaks ,and the maple here is mostly silver lot lighter than hard but will make a bow as said before keep it wide . watch folks yard for pruning . crepe myrtle ,bradford pear , apple most fruit and nut trees will work

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:10:19 am »
I have family down in Baxley. Go to a big pecan orchard. They are always cutting trees and pruning limbs. Plus, pecan is better for smoking than hickory IMO, so you can get good smoking wood.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline jham

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:38:18 am »
going to cut some crepe myrtle tomorrow to start drying while I finish up my board bow, will see how this does, and also checking with my uncle whos a couple of hrs away to see if he will let me know if he ever goes to cut any of his pecan trees down. We have a few pecans in the yard but cant cut them unless they become a danger of falling. crepe myrtle is one wood I can get at least a stave or two of every year around here.