Author Topic: Israli/Hebrew/Jewish bows???  (Read 20622 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Israli/Hebrew/Jewish bows???
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:48:34 pm »
If this belongs in Around the Campfire please move, but I have a question about bows.  There are many many references to bows in the bible, yet when I search for Israli/Hebrew/Jewish bows I can not seem to find any specific examples that are linked to the people of the Old Testament.  Would they have been Eygptian, Mesapotanian or Parthian?

Thanks,
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Israli/Hebrew/Jewish bows???
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »
My guess would be they were more symbolic than an actual tool and maybe they didnt even use or have any archery items. They just used archery terms to describe certain things or meanings.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:43:42 pm »
Hebrew bows would be the same type(s) used by powerful neighbors or oppressors.  This would mean Eqyptian, Assyrian, Greek, and Roman designs, depending on the time period.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:00:34 pm »
 Not sure if these help. I used the Google search of hebrew bows and arrows and also middle east bows and arrows. Most of the Egyptin bows were imported from the middle east
http://www.articlesbase.com/extreme-sports-articles/history-of-the-bow-and-arrow-403289.html#axzz1PTMT19hD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_archery
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:04:15 pm by hillbilly61 »
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:15:27 pm »
I would think Egyptian or Assyrian. I don't think one could be used for symbolism if there wasn't one being used somewhere.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:12:33 am »
Sorry Pearl, but if you remember, Jonathan gave David his bow when they became friends.  Guess we're just continuing the tradition here ;)   

He also used it to signal to David whether he needed to hot-tail it from Saul or not.  As much as the Israelites borrowed from neighbors, there were pretty strong prohibitions against using weaponry of other nations, though that was mainly chariots and such war machines.  That's an interesting thought though, got me wondrin . . .

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:16:29 am »
Or more likely the rest of us (the neighbors ) borrowed designs from them !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline criveraville

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:22:52 am »
Thanks guys.  I just thought that the Isralites would have developed their own style, type of archery equipment.  Even when you borrow from neighbors and oppressors a unique style develops, but I havent found much info or literature on the subject matter other than being attributed to the neighboring people..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:32:35 am »
Here is a link about Sibudu Cave in South Africa that puts archery use back to between 64,000 -70,000 years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibudu_Cave

Offline wildwills

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 12:20:48 pm »
If you're by chance looking for a for this type of bow, I believe Rudderbows has some...https://rudderbowsarchery.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=555&zenid=gjtud3prmosg2e1a8t8onjhgm0.
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 08:39:14 pm »
thats what my bows with siyahs usually look like. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:23 pm »
Here is a link about Sibudu Cave in South Africa that puts archery use back to between 64,000 -70,000 years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibudu_Cave

There is a lot of controversy about the archery claims, the bone point could be a dart or javalin point so nothing is conclusive or any different to the small stone points found throughout Europe that also cannot be conclusively claimed to prove anything either way.

Craig.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 10:20:01 pm »
Thanks  guys. That chariot/horse bow looks neat.

Craig, thanks for the info. But regarding Sibudu cave artifacts I read that stone points had been found that had been basted to an arrow and had blood/bone material on them. Have you read that? I did not realize there was a controversy over the claims made at the cave site.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 10:40:29 am »
Thanks  guys. That chariot/horse bow looks neat.

Craig, thanks for the info. But regarding Sibudu cave artifacts I read that stone points had been found that had been basted to an arrow and had blood/bone material on them. Have you read that? I did not realize there was a controversy over the claims made at the cave site.

I have read various descriptions of the finds from one that claims they found a bone arrow shaft to others that describe it as a bone point. It is only 5cm (2inches) long and so what makes it an arrow I have no idea especially when photos show it to be a just a point. WRT the blood,  read/look at this :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11086110

you will see that it was stone points on which they discovered blood. Now what makes those points definitely arrow points where similar points found in Europe are not, is beyond me. I would also suggest that the shape of the so called points is very similar to small scraper blades used throughout the world.

So as you can gather there is a considerable controversy as to the veracity of the claims.

Points alone or points on incomplete shafts, (which there is no evidence of in the Sibudu cave), would not prove the use of bows and arrows as the same point and shaft could be from throwing darts. It would be necessary to find them in conjunction with bows or identifiable bits of bows to make the assumption of the type of missile.

On your original question I have not read of the discovery of any bow that could be ascribed to the Hebrew Nation, and like others I would assume they used bows similar in design to others used in the Middle east contemporary to their migration. But that is only an assumption.

Craig.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:49:46 am by CraigMBeckett »

Offline mstrick96

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 11:36:47 am »
Strictly speculation on my part, but I would think that since the Hebrews grew from a family/tribal group to a nation in Egypt, it would be logical to assume that their bow designs would be based on the Egyptian styles.

After the Exodus and the 40 years of wandering in the wilderness, they would have have time to perfect their own designs before moving in to the Promised Land.  Likely they had some influence from surrounding peoples, but I would think that the primary design would be Egyptian.