Author Topic: Black widow spider  (Read 5783 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Black widow spider
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:25:11 pm »
Found this big girl under an old fallen barn door.  She was guarding a big egg sack.  I usually find one or two a year on our property.  This is the biggest one I have ever seen.  I hate spiders, but for some reason, I don't mind these.  When I worked on an assembly line, I kept one in a container on my work bench.  After I took the pictures, I put the door back down and let her go back to her eggs.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Black widow spider
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:26:18 pm »
Cool pics!   8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:35:29 pm »
cool.. those are neat spiders... we have lots of them here..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:40:10 pm »
man that ones eatin size!! >:D >:D >:D

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:39 pm »

*bluuup*  ohhh sorry I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit... Cool pics though. :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:06:06 pm »
man that ones eatin size!! >:D >:D >:D

It's almost double the size that I normally see around here.  They sure are pretty.  It gave me an idea for a bow finish. ;)

Offline Lemos

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:56:42 am »
I thought black widows had hourglass shapes on there belly. Good thing I avoid all spiders since I can"t identify them

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 02:27:47 am »
One word :  Stomp !  >:(  ;D
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 04:15:53 am »
  Use to have a cousin that worked for a place that furbished pop machines. He's run across them all the time. Put them in a clear 3 foot by 3 inch clear tubes  and give them to me. At hte time my boys were small my mom was glad when the was layed off I had them as pets for quite a few years.  I've seen some that had way to many babys to count. I kept and had just about everything in NORTH AMERICA at one time or another and some that were from others. But they were the weirdest pets I've ever had. Except for 2 bats I had for a couple months in MEXICO.
  She's a beautiful I guess I still have a thing for spiders.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 04:20:16 am »
     I am with you Rick stomp, mash, etc.  They are poisonous, and can cause death in some people, and although the bite is hardly painful, the resulting pain from the poison is excruciating.  The stomach muscles go rigid, and there are very painful cramps.  I kill every one of them.  We have them down here, naturally, and some big ones.  The hour glass is not necessarily on the abdomen.  It is the general shape of the spider that will Identify it for sure.  It is the only one I know of, of that particular shape body, and legs.  In fla. we have the northern, and southern variety of black widow.  The southern has the classic hour glass on the bottom side of the abdomen, and the northern has the hour glass on or near the upper part of the abdomen.  They also vary in color, there is a grayish, brown, to a rust colored to reddish brown, and of course the glossy black.  All have the charistic shape, and an hour glass, or hour glass like marking or markings on it.  I saw quite a few of them when I worked as a rent a cop during college, when I was at construction sites, and condos on the beach.  They don't have a well defined web, like the orb weaver, or star spiders, but just a sort of mish mash of web strands, and usually a round spikey looking egg sac.  I used to see a lot of them in the window ledges here during the summer, but we have a lot of lizards, and it seems to keep them down a bit, plus, I do my part also. ;)  They are not as aggressive as some spiders, but usually bite if they are picked up, intentionally, or unintentionally, or are in clothing, bedding,or they get mashed.  been bit by the black jumping spiders, the kind with the smiley face on the back, and big green fangs.  It ain't pleasant, like a hot wire being jammed into you.  I was fishing, and one crawled up my neck, and I thought it was a bug, and I slapped, and it bit the snot out of me.  :o :'(  I don't bother the wolf spiders you find in the grass, and some smaller spiders, and orbweavers, and such, but the big long legged and big what we call brown roach spiders, I try to run out of the house, or just spray them, or swat them, and then toss them out.  They like to get under bedding, and in closets, and under beds etc.  'They will attack if cornered.  :o I had one run me around the kitchen table, and into the living room, when I was about six years old, and it was in a coke bottle and I blew down into it.  I think it was about then I learned my little girlley scream, and just how fast I could run on two feet, and how fast a spider could run on eight. I don't know about the spider, but I was close to hitting a time warp speed. ;D ;D :o ;D  I had them jump on me before, once while getting a can of dog food in the garage, and I almost threw my hand off!!  :o Black widows....stomp! ;)  I have had the gray funnel  type spiders crawl up my legs, while geting hay out of a barn in Zolfo Springs, and never got bit, just dropped my pants, and let the spider crawl out, and  go somewhere else!  Then checked to see if I could pull my pants back up, without another spider in in them, or if I needed to change them. ;D ;D ::) ::)

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 08:13:11 am »
Pretty maybe ::) but I am with you Rick ,stomp her and her eggs. :) They are nice pictures tho. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 10:15:25 am »
As big as she is it will still take a bunch to back a bow ::)

Lane

Lombard

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:55 pm »
I've been bitten by widows twice on my hand. Both times squeezed out most of the milky looking stuff out, both times I got nauseous, and had a bad headache. No ill effects beyond that.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 01:10:13 am »
Kill 'em and stomp the nest!
 Me and a friend were going fishing one evening and I took an old pair of boots that had been sitting on the front porch with me to wade in. Once we got to the creek I proceeded to stick my bare foot down in one of 'em and felt something "squishy"...it was a big toad frog that had hopped in there to spend the day. I remember telling my buddy, " I better dump the other one, no telling what I'll find in it". I popped the heel on the ground and dumped out a big "widder"!  After I made sure it was clean, I put the boot on and smashed it with no remorse at all! >:D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »
I couldn't kill it. She didn't do anything to me and they aren't aggressive like a wasp or bee. It is in an old barn that is falling down. If I find them close to the house, I will relocate them to the back part of our place. Maybe if I ever get one in my clothes or boots, karma will help me out a little, who knows. Now, if I ever get bit by one, it's game on!