Author Topic: Gnarly Dogwood (and now some Black Locust)  (Read 14308 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Re: Gnarly Dogwood (and now some Black Locust)
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2011, 09:13:24 pm »
Lee for what it's worth, that cluster of leaves you posted isn't from any dogwood I've ever seen before. It more resembles something in the hickory nut family but for some reason I can't postitively ID it either. The leaves are compound, smooth edged, glossy, and 6 to a cluster and that resembles something in the nut family of trees. I've seen a bunch of those around here where I live, but I'll be damned if I can find one on the net that looks exactly like it so I can make a positive ID. I'll keep looking and digging and see what I can come up with............check back later.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2011, 09:17:13 pm »
Thanks Chris...I guess the reason it is driving me nuts is that I cut down a small dogwood sapling 2 weeks that had the same leaves (don't know if they were compounded, didn't look close since they were blossoming then) and then I find this sucker and it's the only tree for 80 yds that ISN'T a Maple and there are the same blossom peddles on the ground and the leaf looks exactly the same.  I guess in the big picture it doesn't really matter...it's a tree, wood seems good but it will bother me.  ;D

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline johnston

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10:09 pm »
Lee I wasn't really trying to trade. It was a rare kind hearted offer to help you out.  With that "mystery" wood to split you need something to practice on and nothing would be better than gum to get you all tuned up >:D ;D

Lane

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 11:14:22 pm »
No problem Lane, I didn't figure you were...

It isn't hard to gum me up.

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 11:36:02 pm »
I pulled my Audubon Field Guide out and what you cut looks just like a Flowering Dogwood to me. It says they grow up to 30' tall and 8" in diameter, kind a like the 50 year old one I cut down in my front yard.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?