Author Topic: Help me design a knife  (Read 1711 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Help me design a knife
« on: June 14, 2011, 03:57:08 pm »
I've got a real good friend that's been making me some very nice training equipment lately for nothing.  I want to return the favor and make a knife of some sort for him, but I'm at a loss as to what kind.  He doesn't hunt, so I don't see the need for a skinning knife.  He says he's never worn any type of necklace before, but isn't opposed to a neck knife.  He does enjoy other outdoor activities like mountain biking and hiking, so I thought about a bushcraft style even though I'm not real crazy about most of those designs I see (just looks way too easy for your hand to slip up the handle onto the blade).  Anyway, I'm wide open to suggestions if anybody has one.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Help me design a knife
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:01:00 pm »
I've never been one for big knives but I got this custom, forged knife last year in a trade. I gotta say I'm liking it more and more, it is just handy in the woods and that long blade has reached way in behind a 2"+ shield on a hog skinning it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »
That blade does look handy, Eddie.  I bet it chops good with that drop.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline agd68

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:42:34 am »
I like that style of Mullets knife,but for a general use camp/bush knife I'd put more drop to the point,more like a smaller Kukri. You say your friend does not hunt, does he fish ? If so a trout knife or fillet knife would be handy
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:41:12 am »
  Get a catalog from JANTZ (1-800-351-8900) they have quite a few pages of knife blades you can pick a pattern from them. I use it all the time for just that. I can't remember the knife makers name put he had 100'S OF PATTERNS TO DOWM LOAD TO PICK FROM. Do a search of knife makers you might find him. But JANTZ will do the job.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING