Author Topic: E R C Bow ?  (Read 8002 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: E R C Bow ?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 02:40:47 am »
This one's backed with sinew.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 02:45:50 am »
And dang!  I can't find any pics of a hickory backed one.    As the others have mentioned though any of these backings can work well on junipers, including ERC.  Hickory backings should probably be on the thin side.  I trapped the bamboo backing, the one time I used it and got nearly zero set.   I usually make the working portion of the limbs pretty wide (~2")  when working with ERC     Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 03:34:12 am »
Thats what im looking for!  I like that one M-P !  Forgive me but I dont understand TRAPPED  ? And you say hickory should be thin,,how thin?  Great looking bow, thanks for sharing!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 09:32:27 am »
I agree with Ron,make the limbs wide coming out of the fades. I like my bamboo thin also, around an 1/8" if possible. I saw an all sapwood ERC at Pat B's Camporama. It was a very flat shooting bow. If you are backing it sapwood or knots shouldn't be a problem. I've got a yew board I'm going to do the same with when I get some time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:34 am »
Mullet, that stinks about his hand...hopefully he'll heal fully and not loose too much work.  I had a run in with a DK as well but nothing like tendon damage, just meat  >:D

M-P, those are some FANTASTIC ERC bows!  Thanks for sharing those pics.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline johnston

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 07:16:41 pm »
Rick " trap " refers to the shape...trapezoidal.

Lane

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »
Rick,  Johnston has it right.   Trapping is just shorthand for thinning the edges of the backing so that  the main strength of the backing is just runs down the center of the bow..   It's basically a way to weaken the backing.   In this case I thinned the outer 1/3 of the bamboo along each edge and then lightly sanded the whole backing.  Boo is sort of trapped anyway by virtue of it's rounded shape, but this piece was kinda thick.   For hickory I've used a backing a little less than 1/8 inch.       Ron

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 01:31:09 am »
OK Thanks!  now I understand should be able to get started this weekend. Ill post pics as I make progress
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »
OK  More questions,, I got my board cut ,riser glued on,[pics tonight]   It is 2" wide,58" long,no knots. The boo I have wont cover all the way across,only about 3/4 of it. Is that to small or should I go with something else?  And will oak and rawhide combo work for backing? Cant get any hickory till later next month but I have some red oak I could cut.  One more thing,should I glue in some reflex or leave it flat?  Ill figger it out one day ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 09:06:16 pm »
The bambo should be fine, and glue in some reflex.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 01:25:37 am »
Like Mullet said.   Ron

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 01:12:43 pm »
Thanks  !

Offline ohma2

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:03 am »
i made a rawhide backed erc for my grand son a couple years back. he shot it like only a 10 year old full of the spirit could it finally blew a coulpe months ago. never lost tiller and shot an arrow fast to the last one, and then just come apart into 7 pieces.i think cedar just gets so dry, that they do so. gonna have to build him another, he hasnt liked a bow as much since.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 02:25:16 pm »
ohma2,   Dryness is a possible cause but, in my opinion, unlikely unless the bow was left in a car or direct sunlight for hours.   Another possible cause is youthful exuberance and enough growth for a longer draw.    Ron

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »
I got pics but cant download yet,going in to town today to get a new cord for the camera,,,always something! :)