Author Topic: E R C Bow ?  (Read 8001 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

E R C Bow ?
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:40:25 am »
I have a 4" x 12" x 8' red cedar board that I had cut in may of last year,I forgot I even had it till I tripped on it today.Yall think it would be good bow material?? I know I would have to back it with something,,I  have a good bit of deer rawhide and I finally found a place to get hickory boards and other hardwood. Any advice appreciated.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: E R C Bow ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:55:35 am »
Both rawhide and hickory will make a great backing for ERC. How clear(or better yet knotty) is your cedar board. Knots can be deadly to an ERC bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:40 am »
Its very clear for the most part,I had 2 cut from the same tree,I used the one with all the knots [top of the tree I think]  on another project.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:16:47 am »
Another question,is there any particular style bow that would be best for cedar?  And how thick should a hickory backing be?

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:28:16 am »
IMO hickory is the better choice for a backing to ERC. I just finished a hickory backed ERC a few months ago. I started with a tapered belly core at .800" at the center to. 700" at the tips. And the hickory backing was also thickness tapered from 3/16" at the center to 1/8" at the ends. And after glue up I thinned just a wee tad more on the hickory backing. The bow is 70.5"ntn. 1 1/2" wide at middle till 2/3 down the limbs then tapering to 1/2" tips. Its a bend in the handle bow. 55lbs@25"  its a lil overbuilt cus I used a fire pile saver that I never thought wood work,but it surprised me and wanted to be a bow. Feel free to ask or pm me anything else on it.

You can also go shorter and wider and make a sinewed back bow with it. I just roughed a short wide pyramid style out of ERC last weekend to be sinewed,and its gonna be a bend in the handle bow too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:57:05 am by blackhawk »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:24:29 am »
I made a real speed demon a few years ago backing ERC with Bamboo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:27:08 pm »
bamboo ???? ??? ???well might but thatd be a first soft as ceadr is i know boo will crusah the ceader and it will blow my choice is back it with 1/16  hickory you need  to get it where the backing
 does not crush the cader iv made severl and blew a heck of a bunch of em up learned the hard way  it s gotta be thin thin brock

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 05:13:29 pm »
Thanks for the response,,Does any one have any pics?   I want to study good before I get started.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 05:18:04 pm »
Sure do...give me an hour and ill put em up.  ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 06:15:46 pm »
Before I post the pics of it here's a link to the build along I did of it on another site. Its been awhile since I did a build along? Hmmmm? Pay attention to Dire Wolf s and Hanks comments. But don't pay attention to mine cus I don't know #$%!  :D

http://leatherwall.BOWSITE.COM/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=222142&messages=148&CATEGORY=4

Here's the bow.

I purposely intended for two inches of follow and hit my intended mark. Anyways that should be MORE than enough for ya

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:24:29 pm by blackhawk »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:58:03 pm »
I can guarantee bamboo will not crush cedar. It was made four years ago and is still shooting. Made from a cedar board spliced in the handle, 55# @28". It never ceases to amaze me when someone comes on here asking for advice and then some of the statements tossed back with advice from people that havn't done it themselves. But they have heard it from LeRoy's cousin's, sister's, brother. If you back it with bamboo or hickory and your backing is too thick  it will overpower cedar or most any wood. Here is a bow built in one day from a cedar stave when CubanFlRedneck came over, 55# @ 28" also
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:03:10 am by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 12:01:18 am »
Speaking of CubanFlRedneck where's he been?  Did he build a bow with then slip away into the Cypress for a couple seasons or what?

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:07:20 am »
I talked to him a couple of weeks ago. After he built this bow he slipped with his drawknife while working on a piece of wood and cut the tendon in his index finger. He was out of work for quite awhile, he's a massage therapist, and is trying to catch back up now.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 02:25:33 am »
Thanks for your insight Mullet, Thats why I like lots of people to reply! I dint like the bend through handle type bows, Do you think I could use what I call the Sam Harper Red Oak style would work?  I'm really comfortable with this style more than others. I have some pretty large diameter bamboo Ive just never used it,How thick should it be? Sorry for all the questions,but I'm still in the learning stage!  BTW I looked over my cedar today and I can get several boards out of it with no knots at all. And should I avoid the white wood and just use the red? or does it matter ?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 02:37:28 am »
Here's one backed with bamboo

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers