Author Topic: Nocking point  (Read 9642 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Nocking point
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:17:07 am »
Anybody know of a reference in here with direction's on how to tie a nocking point on the bow string rather than using crimp on's? I looked around and couldn't find anything - I know their's a way :)
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Nocking point
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 11:38:48 am »
Paul, I've never done one but it is basically the same as putting the serving on a string but way shorter. ;D I believe it is called a "nail knot". What I do with serving is lay a seperate loop of string on the string, wrap over it, tuck the tag end into the loop and pull it through. Cut the ends off and you're good to go.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 11:39:31 am »
I don't know if there is a reference on how to tie but there is a thread on where and what people use to tie on thread.  Ill see if I can find it. I just do mine like a tiny piece of serving.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 11:41:41 am »
I gotta quit typing while Pat is.  ;) A drop of super glue on the thread when you are done will help to hold it in place.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

king3933

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:47:09 am »
I use fast flight for my nocking point and you just tie a knot on top of the sting and then a knot on the bottom of the string and continue in this way till you have a length 3/8th or so. Then tie a double knot at the end and cut and burn with a lighter. Tie the knots sort of tight but not too tight as you do want the string to be able to turn up or down to adjust nocking point. When you get it to where you like the setting put some Elmer's glue on the nocking point and this will help hold everything together.

God Bless:
Gary

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 01:38:40 pm »
               Tie a tiny piece of rawhide, tiny meanin small diameter on string where ya want nock point. Make sure rawhide is good an wet, use 2 overhand knots. Tie tight and let dry. Cut ends off when dry, done an wont move.......bob

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 11:08:19 pm »
Thanks fellers! their's several way's to try it - I'll tinker with em all and figure out which works for me ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 12:40:28 am »
i fixed the nocking point on my compound bow's string by using Kevlar fly tying thread.  Then I put a drop of glue on it.  It work great.  All i did was keep wrapping till I got the right size nocking point on it
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:59:22 am »

I usually use waxed dental floss...wrapping to get the diameter you want, then finishing with a serving knot. A drop of super glue as already mentioned and you're set. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 01:10:37 pm »
I once put a "temporary" duct tape nock point on one of my bows that's been on there for three or four years now....... :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 02:19:25 pm »
I once put a "temporary" duct tape nock point on one of my bows that's been on there for three or four years now....... :)
I thought I was the only one that did that.  ;D Mine is red duct tape and its only been there about a year.  Matches the bow rather nice.  Also makes it easier to tell my hunting bow's string apart from the other 20 strings I have laying around.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 03:23:21 pm »
Mine's fancy camo duct tape-nyaaaaa! :P
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 04:12:41 pm »
Also makes it easier to tell my hunting bow's string apart from the other 20 strings I have laying around.   Justin

No wonder you have so many strings laying around...you keep pulling them off bows before you send them to your buddies oversea's...(Marius)! ;D ;D ;D

By the way...havn't heard from our friend Marius lately...you out there? ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 08:48:24 pm »
Wow! all these ideas out there and only one string to try them on ;D. I'm sure I'll run across the need to use duct tape at some point - everybody does......... Hey Greg, I've seen that serving knot before but it's been awhile - reckon you could reiterate?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 09:41:39 pm »
Greg, if the truth was known, Marius threw it away hoping Pat would make him a new one.  ;D Justin

SW Utah