Author Topic: Need some good staves for my new addiction any help?  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Bow Nut

Need some good staves for my new addiction any help?
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:49:01 pm »
any one know where I can get some good osage and mulberry logs I would settle for some black walnut Juniper or black locust.  Offcourse I would love to know where to get some yew to.  I have lots of yew and osage boards but I want to get away from laminated bows after making my first self bow.

thanks

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Need some good staves for my new addiction any help?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:58:03 pm »
you could probably trade some of your boards for staves on the trading post.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 04:04:07 pm »
I see you live in Georgia. You should have plenty of bow wood around you to go harvest yourself for free.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:12:54 pm »
yes I live in Georgia but I live in atlanta I have 2 hunting properties though one in south ga of 8000 acres and one in north ga of 200 acres I have some pecan trees and hickory tree for sure some evergreens but I think mostly they are cedar which is good I know but I am looking for the premium stuff like osage, mulberry and the wood I cant get here.  We have an osage tree here and there but mostly in peoples yards we have plenty of maples as well.  I made my first self bow the other day an osage static recurve it is in a post as well on here.  and I want to experiment more with recurves

thanks
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:44:19 pm by Bow Nut »

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:27:29 pm »
I understand the Osage obsession. I have it as well....BUT hickory does make a FIIIIINE recurve as well

You can always go up to a persons door and ask to cut there Osage. Just make sure ya throw a good sales pitch like" I can help you get rid of that nuisance tree full of thorns,and that one that litters your yard full of useless big green balls"  :D

Also there's a few guys that sell Osage staves on ebay for fairly cheap.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:33:46 pm »
lol yea I know about ebay and I heard hickory makes good recurves.  I might just try that but from what I know here in ga people are usually enjoy having exotic trees in there yards.  Thanks

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:35:53 pm »
I also heard that some of the other staves I mentioned work well with sinew backings.  I will have to try the hickory

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 05:15:03 pm »
If you are like us in Alabama, your Pecan trees are a dime a dozen. Pecan has almost the same properties as Hickory. I have a few groves around here that the owners said I can get when/if they start to die or get cut.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 06:14:46 pm »
I also can get my hands on more sinew than any one could ever need of all types even couger sinew deer elk moose prongorn sheep you name it I would trade for some nice staves as well

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 06:20:06 pm »
Nice buck, I would try the trade blanket you might have better luck ??? I dont see an entry or exit wound on that buck  ???
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:34:52 pm »
Thanks Shot him quartering away on the other side placed the arrow right behind the ribs and it actually stooped when it hit the hide at the base of the neck I was on the ground so it did not angle down much.  He was about 20 yards and had another nice one with him but could not get a second shot off in time because I am just not that quick with a bow.  I shot him with one of my boo backed Osage board bows and it did great I have shoot another one since him a nice 8 pt at 10 yards and a few does.  he weighed in at 201 pounds he was a fatty for a GA deer our typical buck is about 160 to 170 full grown.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 06:39:21 pm »
NICE! ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:24:30 am »
I dont see an entry or exit wound on that buck  ???

He showed the buck his handmade bows and the buck laid down and died of pure satisfaction.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 12:49:28 pm »
lol yea I wish it was that easy thanks