Author Topic: seeking professional help...  (Read 3962 times)

Offline bubby

Re: seeking professional help...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 05:30:26 pm »
you could scrape off the flax and glue on a wood backing and induce a little reflex, then retiller to draw weight, personally I'd keep it as is for a target bow and build another bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 06:07:21 pm »
about 68" where the string cuts into the back. 
Please, do not cut notches in the BACK of the bow. You should make string grooves only on the sides of the limbs. A groove in the back can only be done when you apply a tip overlay, but even then you still need to be careful. There's chance the bow will break at the grooves. It's like peeling off the belly half from the back half.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:59 pm »
Please, do not cut notches in the BACK of the bow. You should make string grooves only on the sides of the limbs. A groove in the back can only be done when you apply a tip overlay, but even then you still need to be careful. There's chance the bow will break at the grooves. It's like peeling off the belly half from the back half.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's much of an issue when using quarter-sawn boards for bows.  I do it all the time while tillering.  Usually tip overlays are one of the last steps for me.

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 07:58:39 pm »
george-  don't you hate when that happens!? >:D   
as for the bow, it started out 72" long.  i only cut it down to 69" after the tillering had been completed, meaning it definitely had something to do with my craftsmanship, if not everything. 

hey bub,
it actually shoots well so i don't think i will try to do any bending...the only thing is the backing isn't pretty.  i wish it had the linen cloth instead.

i wonder if it's too risky to scrape off the hemp cord and put the linen on?

Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. -Carl Sagan

Offline cryostallion

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 08:02:10 pm »

Please, do not cut notches in the BACK of the bow.
[/quote]

i should have been more clear and said where the string lays across the back of the bow.  i didn't cut through the backing, although i suppose it might be alright to on a lumber bow like cam said.
Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. -Carl Sagan

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 02:39:34 am »
I'm looking at your unbraced pic and, although I clearly see the set, I don't think it is something to mess with if the bow is otherwise performing well. I'd definitely live with it and enjoy shooting it to the fullest while moving on to the next. Just use it as a practice bow if nothing else. I also read through the posts and there is some really good advice on beating set already written and, frankly, I don't see any room to add anything else.

Good Luck and Enjoy!