Author Topic: Bad Board..Decent Bow (red oak flat bow)  (Read 6470 times)

Offline johnston

Bad Board..Decent Bow (red oak flat bow)
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:04 pm »
I had planned on building a bow this past weekend but not this bow. It was glued up a couple months back and left on the junk pile 'cause I put the handle on what should have been the back. And the board was not much to start with. At least that is what I thought.But you should  never underestimate red oak. Check out the grain lines and tell me how this thing held up with ME working on it.

Bow is 64" ttt with fat pin nocks. At the riser it is 1 5/8" with a straight line taper to 9/16" at bottom of pin. Handle is 1 5/8" thick by 8" long. Out of the riser the limbs are 9/16" thick to 1/2" at mid limb and 7/16" at the tips.Shelf is 3/8" deep by 1 3/8". Pulls 49# at 25 ". I really like this design most probably cause I have shot it so much and it is easy to make. Bow has about 200 through it and is a sweet thing. I got lucky.

Ain't real sure about the pic's but here goes.
Thanks for looking.
Lane

Offline johnston

Re: Bad Board..Decent Bow (red oak flat bow)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:04:15 pm »
My wife will kill me. Sorry about the stray.

Lane

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:20:45 pm »
i like the stray! lol, the helper helping the helper! lol 

that grain is crazy!!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:30:34 pm »
Holy crap Lane, what a great bow........but damned son !!!!!it's wrong handed ;D
rich

Offline NTProf

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:37 pm »
Niiiiiice! Red oak does it again! Does that have a backing on it?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 11:34:06 pm »
Very nice tiller but I am glad you backed it.:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:12:28 am »
Yes I had to back it cause I was scared of it. Ain't a natural backing NTProf but sure felt safer with it on there. Fiberglas drywall tape with TiteBondII painted with camo green. It was all I had for a structural backing.

Lane

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:35:35 am »
Do you know how many guys(including me) wood have told you to bring that wood back to the store if you had posted a photo of it asking if it wood make a bow?  :D

Haha...you proved us wrong. Nice. Wood sure can be unpredictable. What you think will make a bow wont,and what you don't think will make a bow will sometimes. But isn't it fun  ;D

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 07:43:55 pm »
My bad guys. I had posted this under "Bows" but it should have been here as the backing is not natural material. Did not know the rules.
Hope I didn't offend anyone.  :(

Lane

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:03 pm »
it's cool Lane!   ;D  No problemo! It's still a cool looking bow with a great tiller on it.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:56:56 pm »
Heck with the backing..................your drawing it backwards or something? Maybe if you put that glove on the other hand it would work better? Just kiddin......nice tiller work on that one!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:41:17 am »
Great bow and nice looking roasties.

Offline johnston

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 08:23:17 am »
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I have had fun with this bow and it has taught me a lot.Cast is, well, real good. Don't know for sure but oak seems like more than just a "beginners " wood to me.

Comments?

Lane

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »
Its not just a beginners wood Lane. I still use it when the mood strikes me. I think it gets called a beginners wood because its readily available and dirt cheap to break and make. Oak makes a fine bow no matter what skill level is involved.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 04:38:47 pm »
I have to agree with Pearl drums on that.  I love making red oak bows I made a pretty nice recurve out of it recently and it is my favorite yard bow.  Anytime I want to go out in the yard and shoot a few arrows it is the one I have been grabbing lately.  It's way underrated I think.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln