Author Topic: Preview pic  (Read 3796 times)

Offline RyanY

Preview pic
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:05:06 am »
I haven't been posting too often so I thought it would be fun to show what I started on this weekend. First bow of the summer, D/R osage and it is going to be sinew backed. Any thoughts or tips on the design would be helpful. Thanks for looking.  :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Preview pic
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:31 am »
Is it joined at the handle and if so, how?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:36:30 am »
It looks like the Egyptian horn bow design James Parker made.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:40:19 am »
Pat B, I used a 2" tapered finger joint and epoxy.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:03:34 am »
i dont have any advice but i do have a suggestion ....... hurry up i gotta see this !!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:41:04 am »
Looks familiar  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 10:31:46 am »
I don't think you'll get much if any work out of a sinew back with that design. Probably just make for a lot of dead weight. Cool design none the less..........Art

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:31 am »
I would definitely glue a handle section in there for strength with a flat lam under the handle section itself so the handle doesn't pop off. Looks like you will get alot of flexing in the handle area because that is the weakest part of the bow as it is at the moment.

You would have been better with a single continuous piece of wood and heated in your R/D to it rather than use 2 seperate sections, but then I don't really know what you have in mind for it yet either?

The areas in red are where you need reinforcement.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 11:40:38 am »
Glue a handle on,and bend some short steep static tips and put marcs signature on it.  :D

Seriously tho that's what I wood do except the last part  ;)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 01:00:49 pm »
    Have you ever glues a joint with that much reflex in it. I
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »
   Have you ever glued that much reflex in a stave before. I'd think it would have to be make a low poundage to make it. I don't thank you could glue a handle peice in there with out it keep poping off. If it was 1 peice I thank you'd have a better chance.I wish you well on your bow and I truely  like to see it when finished. But I think you've made it really hard on yourself.

GOOD LUCK
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline RyanY

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »
Marc, I'm glad you noticed. I'm going off your laminated build but trying to make it sinew backed instead. Must mean I'm doing ok so far.  ;D

Art, I can't say for sure if the sinew will help or not. I figure it'll help it keep a fair amount of reflex and since it's 60" long I don't think it'll get too sluggish if I keep the tips narrow.

Semo, I plan on building up the handle section but, because it was made from billets, that area is not even enough to build up with wood. I'm thinking about getting some pieces of leather to build up with first and then adding wood pieces. The reason I used billets is because it's just what I had in mind for them and I'm trying to imitate Marc's D/R design.  :)

Blackhawk, I won't be putting any recurves in this one since I've been down that road.

Crooketarrow, I made a hickory deflex recurve with about that much reflex in the handle. Worked out just fine.

Thanks for looking guys. I sincerely appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm waiting for the sinew to arrive and will start working on it asap when it comes in in about a week. When sinewing a bow with hide glue, I understand that there is a considerable drying time compared to just gluing wood. If I'm going to put on two layers, should I do each layer at a time and wait for the first to dry before putting on the second? Also how long is the waiting time and can the drying time be sped up by having a fan blow over the bow or something? I've heard that if putting a snake skin on that the sinew must be completely dry or it'll rot under the skin. I'm just wondering, if the outer part of the sinew dries faster that the same thing can happen if drying is sped up with a fan. Thanks again.  :)

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »
Fair enough...looks sweet so far. Reason I stated the recurved is because I intend to do a similar project for next winter,but backing my Osage billets with hickory instead of sinew. I love Marc's spliced deflex reflex recurve bows so much I gotta try and make one. Its a tough build for sure.

Good luck with your project and I know you can pull this one off  ;) 

One question tho...does it need to be sinewed? Its borderline long length for sinew unless you plan on taking it to a 30" draw. Some guys lay all there courses of sinew on at once,as do I. And some lay one course and let dry and add another a week later, then a third course two weeks after the second layer. As you probably know drying time depends on the environment its in.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 02:56:30 pm »
It may not necessarily need to be sinewed but I'm sure that it wouldn't keep as much reflex without it. Plus I think it's about time I sinew back a bow.  :D In TBBV1 on sinewing Jim Hamm says that it looses its advantages on bows above 64" so I think it'll be good for the design. I'll be keeping the bow in my basement so it should be in a decent environment for drying. Just want to make sure I let it dry long enough. Is there a way you tell if the sinew is dry enough?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 06:15:10 pm »
I don't see any reason why you can't build the handle up with wood.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com