Author Topic: Simple side notch  (Read 2948 times)

JustinNC

Simple side notch
« on: June 11, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »
Simple dacite hunting point. Been playing with some of Cowboy's Texas stuff, and decided to put it away until I got a chance to cook it. Picked up some dacite flakes I had stowed away and started whittling.

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Simple side notch
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:51:35 pm »
I like.... 8)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:19:55 pm »
That one is ready to hunt with. ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 10:38:44 pm »
Real nice point
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:31:25 am »
Looks like a blood squirter to me, nice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:37:07 am »
Looks perfect for serious use.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 02:23:04 am »
  I gotta ask,, what the hell did you do to your fingers?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 02:46:57 am »
One would think I was cutting knife scales on a table saw that I didn't know how to use, but there is a less dramatic explaination. ;) Just jerking your chain.

The middle finger got cut on the dacite some how, detached flakes. Same thing on my left hand on my ring finger. Cutting the edge of the cutical *spell check??* and it bleeds like a stuck hog. Most of the time I just go on, the one on my ring finger on my other hand was dripping blood all over everything and wouldnt stop bleeding on it's own so I had to stop knapping for a while. I really should buy some more bandaids.

The index finger at the knuckle is a repeating thing. Somehow when Im pressure flaking, when the flake detaches my finger grazes the edge of the point.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 04:42:39 am »

Just part and parcel with working with Obsidian. ;)  Yeah, it is those little flakes that will get you!  You have to constantly dump the flakes from your pad, or one or two will stick in it, and slice you, and you won't feel it and suddenly notice that there is blood on your hand. :P  I was doing a little knapping the other day, and I was sitting on an old igloo cooler, and I moved, and noticed a sharp pain in left cheek...... :o well it seems there was a flake there when I sat down  :o.....took a few minutes of seat picking to get it out of the seat of my pants.  I hope no one was looking.  Would've looked like I had a parasite problem.  ::) :P  Luckily it didn't cut me, just stuck me a bit.  So yeah, dump them flakes, and watch where you sit. ;D  Nice looking point, and very effective.

Wayne

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 12:31:56 pm »

Just part and parcel with working with Obsidian. ;)  Yeah, it is those little flakes that will get you!  You have to constantly dump the flakes from your pad, or one or two will stick in it, and slice you, and you won't feel it and suddenly notice that there is blood on your hand. :P  I was doing a little knapping the other day, and I was sitting on an old igloo cooler, and I moved, and noticed a sharp pain in left cheek...... :o well it seems there was a flake there when I sat down  :o.....took a few minutes of seat picking to get it out of the seat of my pants.  I hope no one was looking.  Would've looked like I had a parasite problem.  ::) :P  Luckily it didn't cut me, just stuck me a bit.  So yeah, dump them flakes, and watch where you sit. ;D  Nice looking point, and very effective.

Wayne

Wayne I do dump flakes, those two cuts on the cutical or however that is spelled, right at my fingernail, came from flying flakes soon as they were knocked off. Little abo ninja stars. I had a piece of dacite go through the bottom of my flip flops the other week and stab the bottom of my foot. THAT HURT!!  My right leg and right foot take a beating from flying flakes. I got a habit of knapping in shorts and flip flops and percussion flaking sends chrapnel flying off.  Wouldnt be so bad if blood didnt pool up in my flip flops and the danged flies would stay off of the wounds  ;D

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 02:01:28 pm »
Nice little hunting point there. Love Dacite.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 07:40:43 pm »
JustinNC;
     Yeah, I have had a flake fly off, and hit my knee, while wearing shorts, and darned if it didn't slice through the skin, and start bleeding, and it was no bigger, than an eighth in in diameter, and paper thin, but it cut like I had dragged it across the skin.  But when you can get an edge at ONE MOLECULE, in thickness, I guess it can cut you with very little effort.  I try to knapp in long pants.  I have had some of those little flakes stick in the pad, and not see them, till I slice the snot out of my hand, or fingers.  My biggest problem is driving a flake into the ends of my fingers when I am trying to percussion flake, and sometimes when I pressure flake.  You should get with Eddie (Mullet)  He knapps in shorts, and flip flops, also. ::) But you have to sacrifice some blood to the stone Gods irregardless, and at least you were rewarded with a nice point.   ;)
                                                                            Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:23:36 am »
Nice point,looks like a killer to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tower

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 11:18:27 am »
Very nice point. Well done!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Online JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 01:21:45 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr