Author Topic: One of my toughest bow builds (not for bom) added: dimension layout & descrip.  (Read 7619 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Re: One of my toughest bow builds (not for bom)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:22 pm »
It looks like a deer killer Rich. Nice job.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 12:31:51 pm »
Great work and project! It is very simillar like flight bowyery. Match the right weight and the best performer design.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 01:29:07 pm »
great stuff rich, i realy like seeing your projects.

Offline jonathan creason

Very nice, Rich.  Can't wait to see her all dressed up.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline half eye

Fellas here are dimensional stats tec. on the little bow....believe if ya was to "enlarge" it would make an excellent and efficient hunting weight bow.

Bow is 54" ntn, has a mass weight of 11ounces, is 30.5# @ 25" will draw smoothly to 28". will be fitted for a small arrow rest. It has 1/8" pin knocks
rich

Offline Lee Slikkers

Rich, SWEET...more pics plus a drawing (right up my alley).  Did the poundage increase by much at the longer 28" draw?  I am curious how one built to the same specs but with sinew on it would perform?  Think a guy could get maybe high #40's to low #50's with 3 coarses of sinew?  Anyway, great stuff all the way around.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline half eye

Lee,
     The bow hit's 40# @ 28". About the sinewing.....I dont have a clue cause I've never sinewed a bow in my life. 1/2" to 5/8" belly with 1/8" backer (self or otherwise) should easily reach a tillered high 50's. Or ya could make the limbs wider all the way through and get to the same point.
rich

Offline RyanY

Sweet design. Any reason you kept more deflex than reflex?

Offline wildkatt

;D Very nice He should love it. Friends like u are hard to come by in life. 8)

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline toomanyknots

Front profile is gorgeous.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline half eye

Everyone; Thanks for the gratious comments.

Ryoon,   It has the deflex to aid in a very smooth draw, and the reflex for a little more cast because of the light weight.

Scott, I too was very pleased with the cast. I use that to get a sense of the "power" at hunting range. i.e. 15yards would be 10% of the 150 yard cast figure.....so I figure that the arrow will retain 90% of it's killing power when it hit's a critter at that 15 yard range and with a really sharp 2 blade I feel confident it's capable of a humane kill at that range.
rich

Offline Gaur

Great looking bow.  I have the same challenge before me.  I am trying to make a bow for my son that he can hunt with this fall.  he is 14 yrs old.  Minnesota requirement is 30# and I measured his draw at about 23"  I'd like him to shoot at least 35# but we'll see.  I have a short bamboo-maple-osage glued up and going to see if I can make that work.  If not I'll maybe have to come back and use your design.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline dbb

Beautiful bow!
I hope i will get good enough to solve a problem as elegantly as you did here..that will take some time i guess  ;)
Im thinking of nicking your design and multiply measurements with 1.2 to end up with a more powerful bow ...and good looks  ;D

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline half eye

Fellas, if there is anything about the bow that will help ya out yer welcome to it.
rich

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
very nice, Rich..... elegant profile and nice design.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......