Author Topic: One of my toughest bow builds (not for bom) added: dimension layout & descrip.  (Read 7620 times)

Offline half eye

Here's one that was real hard to nail down. Got a life long friend, thats one of them ya been through several life and death situations with, and would do anything for. His name is Cass Landman. Well neither one of us made it out 100% so when he asked for a bow that he could actually shoot, but would still be a deer killer for our upcoming fall deer hunt with one other of us misscreants.

Here's the deal; he can only draw 32# @ 25 max so I knew it would be real tough to make a 32# bow that will shoot min 500 grain hunting arrows flat and with autority. Started with a pyramid shape self bow, with recurved tips and a rigid handle, the bow is made from red elm and was pretty good but came in at 27# and was too doggy for me. So I remembered seeing a bow in the Grayson Collection that belonged to either the Western Ojibwe or the Sioux.....anyway it's shape was a lot like a holmegaard/mollegabet and I figured it had the potential to be really efficient.

The resulting bow draws exactly 30.5# @ 25", self-backed red elm. It's deflexed at mid bow and has reflexed stiff tips. it has an easy smooth draw but real nice speed considering it's low draw weight. It shoots a 450 grain arrow flat at 15 yards, and that same arrow has an average flight distance of 155 measured yards. (I use a Lufkin Rule odometer) The shortest was 150 yards and the longest was 165 yards. Right now the bow is still in the smoked wood stage, and will start the finish tomorrow. Allmostpighunter is sending me some very nice prarie rattler skins which should be here shortly.

I'm sure I forgot something but here's the pics, hope ya like. I'm really amazed at this little bows performance. I'll start with the museum bow. Pics will be marked either 27 or 30 guess ya can figure why? hope ya like and please feel free to chime in with your opinions on performance, or ways to improve it.
rich
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:05:25 pm by half eye »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: One of my toughest bow builds (not for bom)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:51:16 pm »
That is a fine looking bow. The tiller is excellent. Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:52:49 pm »
 Rich, that is just amazing. I don't know a whole lot about the performance parts yet. But I know a flat shooting bow w/450grn arrow @ 15 yrds Is very good. I know the snake skins will look super too.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »
Rich that looks like a good bow.  And the performance that you are speaking of you can't beat that with a stick.  Should kill a deer.  Nice work I love the profile and the tiller also.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 12:25:25 am »
Those are nice rich..I especially like the pyramid/holmy (or whatever you wanna call it) with the narrowed handle. What's the lengths of em?

Offline Almostpighunter

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:47:58 am »
Truly amazing to get such arrow performance with only 30.5# draw weight.  It always amazes me when our ancestors most primitive of creations turn out to be such engineering masterpieces despite the lack of modern equipment and methods. Also a testament to the bowyer to have acquired the knowledge and implement it when the need arises!

Oh yeah, skins shipped... SNAKES ON A PLANE!!!

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:54:32 am »
those are very nice rich..its really good to see you come to the aid of your freind..john

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 01:09:49 am »
ill have to agree thats great flight for a light bow . excellent build he should be happy with that...if not send em south >:D

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 01:22:00 am »
Killer build as usual Rich!  I love that profile and need to try my hand at one soon.  The pics likely don't do it justice (I was blessed enough to receive a number of kids bows from rich for my boys and although he'd likely dismiss them as simply toys they really are impressive.  I am taking notes and dimensions and will likely scale one or two of them up for a build for us "grown up."

I am sure your buddy will love it and when it draws warm blood with pause and give thanks for good friends and those who take care of their own.  Nicely done Rich.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 01:57:13 am »
Both have sweet profiles and full draws. good on you for helping your friend.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline johnston

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 02:31:50 am »
To get those numbers requires more than just a nice build. It would take an understanding of all the minute parts and each would have to be optimized and coordinated. The execution of the build itself would have to be flawless.  Or maybe you are just a lucky old fart ;D.
Either way if I ever really, really need a bow I'm calling you up.

Lane

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 05:57:43 am »
Nice background story, great explanation of your design process. Super looking bow.
I hope he likes the bow and he has some success with it.
That's another bow shape on my list....so many bows, not enough hours in the day ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 07:18:46 am »
What a test of skill and u naild it.can't wait to see the skins on it.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 07:32:06 am »
great lines on that one Rich, cant wait to see her done, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 11:10:47 am »
Just awesome... I love that full draw. How long is the bow n2n?