Author Topic: need some advice on backing  (Read 3530 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: need some advice on backing
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 11:16:41 pm »
Someone out there in the big wide world is carrying an osage that I rushed a little and cut thru a pin knot and violated the growth ring badly.  Wrapped in sinew 4 years and 5 deer ago.  If you size the area well with good quality hide glue first then you improve your odds greatly. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline seabass

Re: need some advice on backing
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 03:55:57 pm »
thanks for the info guys.i think i am going to put this one on the back burner for now.i have been working on a board bow for her while i was working on this one.she wanted a rustic looking medevil style longbow.i almost have this one done.i also have three more really nice osage staves.i want to start another bow because the osage in question taught me alot.i think i am starting to get it a little more now.i have done alot of reading and alot of watching down at the classic.while at the classic,i watched pappy put a string across the nocks while the bow was on the long string and the tillering board.the moment i saw him do that,i could imediatly see the limb that needed the attention.that one little trick helped me so much in my tillering.thank you pappy,you helped me so much.anyway,i have to go attend to her bow.thanks guys,steve
Middletown,Ohio