Author Topic: Skinner Blade  (Read 2748 times)

Lombard

Skinner Blade
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:47:04 pm »
I just got back from Washington this afternoon, and opened a package that Bill Skinner had sent. What I received was a fine blade made from Texas Root Beer. Bill doesn't post much, so most don't get to see the fine work he does. If anyone takes the time to visit with him at one of the traditional shoots, they will be sure to find Bill passing it on, and get the chance to see for themselves the fine work he does. Thank you Bill for the excellent blade. Now I just need to get a handle on it.

Offline Will H

Re: Skinner Blade
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:52 pm »
Thats a sweet blade! What are you gonna use for the handle?
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:56:43 am »
Will, I don't have any antler, so I'll most likely fashion a handle out of ERC.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 12:11:47 pm »
 That is a fine looking blade. Haven't seen the style in stone,really like it. Thanks for sharing !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 02:28:41 pm »
You're welcome Frank. The handle is taking shape, and I've gathered my pine pitch, charcoal, and bunny poo to make the adhesive. Snapped a couple photos and came in out of the heat for a minute, while the glue heats slowly up.

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 04:09:03 pm »
Some more progress. Slow cooked my gap filling glue. Tried something different and added just a scosh of beeswax. I liked how it worked, but think I'd use less next time. Only added a couple of chips the size of sixteen penny nail head, which made the mix coarser when spun on the stick. Usually when I spin a stick in the mix it adheres smoothly. In the photo the coarseness can be seen. Might be the bunny poo was coarser, seemed so anyway. Here it is with the blade mounted and secured with artificial sinew. A little more sanding then sealing, and it will be done.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:35 pm »
Mr. Skinner turns out some fine blades and is also a very generous person.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tower

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:44:01 pm »
That is a nice blade. Also a good job hafting it.  Like peaches & cream.......peas & carrots......them boys make a nice knife together.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 10:18:04 pm »
Beautiful knife.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 12:12:23 am »
Looks like a winning combo to me.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Will H

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 09:49:42 pm »
Man that turned out great!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 02:25:31 am »
That's a nice build along.  You do really good work.  Hopefully, you will get a chance to use it this fall.  Bill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:18:07 am »
Very nice,Blade and handle. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nocams

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 03:52:19 pm »
Looks great ! Bill was one of the gents who took Mason under his wing and took the time and effort to give back in teaching Mason. Bill I thank you for that bud ! Bill took Mason at Tannehill when he was 11yrs old and taught him a ton that weekend. Mason still talks about what a " Damn it " is Bill ! I am trying to learn now and I now know what a "Damn it " is.

I just got Mason some much needed new tools to complete his arsenal and with the rock that SailorDad sent us Mason is off to the races again. He just finished a nice obsidian blade last night as a matter of fact. I am sure that Mason's love of making blades comes from Bill Skinner and Pappy. I think Pappy still gets a good laugh out of the time Mason acused him of getting the bone knife handle from a little girl's puppy, haha ! 

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 06:37:47 pm »
that's a nice knife, Dave.  Bill is a great knapper and teacher.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln