Author Topic: Another snake thread  (Read 5646 times)

JustinNC

Another snake thread
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:19:01 am »
Thought you snake lovers might like this....I really like the second image. Got these yesterday. Medium sized, 3 ft, eastern king snake.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Another snake thread
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:47:01 am »
that is a beautiful king snake.  All the ones I have found around here are black with a few yellow speckles. I really like the banding in his pattern. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:50:21 am »
That is a real beauty,never seen any like that around here. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:36:23 pm »
That is a pretty snake, and a good one to keep around.  Thanks for sharing. 
Mark
Lindale, TX

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:36 pm »
He/she was very gentle. While I didn't pick it up (hate getting musked or whatever with no means to wash up immediately), it did come right up to me and crawl across my boot and up my pant leg a little, in a nonagressive manner, before I did pick it up enough to lay it back down on the ground.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:50:12 pm »
king snakes are pretty docile. I haven't ever been bitten by them before.  I have been bitten and struck at by rat/chicken snakes and corn snakes but never a king snake.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:55:45 pm »
king snakes are pretty docile. I haven't ever been bitten by them before.  I have been bitten and struck at by rat/chicken snakes and corn snakes but never a king snake.  :)

rats are fairly docile, Ive been struck at once, this year actually, when trying to handle....black racers though, mean as a snake. Never had a problem with a copperhead, knock on wood, then again I dont handle them. I have watched my boss, unknowingly until he was across him, step across a large 40" or so copperhead and it never made a move. I myself have stepped on an average, 2ft or so, as well as looked down and had one between my feet while in some tall grass, and never been bothered.

I did come across a timber rattler in the NC mts that was coiled up, rattling, and ready to strike (and did at the obligatory stick poke) when I saw it. I was about 3 ft away when I saw it in this position and have little doubt one more step without seeing him would have resulted to a trip to the E.R.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »
That is a pretty snake. Don't think we have em around here anymore, if we ever did..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 03:02:53 pm »
That's a cool looking snake, nothing like our Scarlet King snake.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 04:28:04 pm »
That's one pretty snake!!! I found a spotted king snake on the road last year.. It was too far gone and just got a small piece of skin off of it
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 07:18:50 pm »
That would look good on a bow!  The only good snake is a dead-un.... :P
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:08:58 pm »
love the second pic.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 12:53:36 am »
It is a beautiful snake and I'd never kill one...but it sure would look good on a bow!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:54:27 am »
Beautiful snake.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 11:35:07 pm »
That is a fine snake. I just found a speckled king last weekend,and it's been a long time since the last one I saw. Nice pictures. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas