Author Topic: Duct tape for gluing up  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Duct tape for gluing up
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:58:59 pm »
I am working on a couple bamboo backed red oak bows and am about to the glue up stage. What i'm wondering is would it work to use duct tape to wrap the lengths of the limbs for clamping while gluing? I have heard of people using ace bandages and plastic wrap but have never heard duct tape mentioned. Has anyone tried this?

Offline dbb

Re: Duct tape for gluing up
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:20:13 pm »
Never used it on a bow,but i did a rescuerepair on a kayakpaddle once, and when i got home and was going to do a better job i almost got crazy before i cleaned off all sticky residue from the duct tape.
Use wrap or innertubing from a cycle intstead to preserve your sanity.Duct tape is good stuff,but not for everything

"Duct tape is very much like the force.
It have a light side ,a dark side and its whats holds the universe together"

" Unknown jedipoet"

;DMikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:23:06 pm »
Lee, it might work but man, what a b*!%ch to get off and cleaned up, I usually use stretch wrap and inner tube strips, the stretch wrap will work buy itself and cost about the same as duct tape, and I think i've done 50-60 bows on one roll, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:49 am »
   I've used electrical tape once in pinch don't see why duck tape wouldn't work.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:13:38 am »
I've been using inner tubes as well, they're quick and easy.  They keep the joint tight as the excess glue squeezes out.  I don't think that duct tape would do that, and you may end up with ugly glue lines showing.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:11 am »
Well, you could always turn the duct tape inside out.  That is, silver side toward the bow.  I suppose using duct tape would be more for bragging rights.  Nevertheless, I'd rather use an inner tube or an ace bandage.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:10:25 am »
Crooketarrow its not that it wont work,because it works too well.Its the clean up after thats a pain in the....
Electrical tape is much better,its elastic and dont have  that thick adhesive that duct tape have.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 08:17:52 am »
  I agree buy my ace bandage had rotten for rapping deer skull and soaking in PROXI. It ealyer in my bow building and in my youth I just could'nt wait. I also used a couple bungie coards to hold it in place. At the time I did'nt care what the glue lines or the clean up looked like.
  Sorry  I didn't say it was the thing to use it's not by a long shot.hat  I ment if you had to or wanted to duck tape would work.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:06:35 am »
Never done a laminate my self but over here 3M do something we call sniper tape, it leaves no residue behind so you can wrap your rifle with the stuff to keep it clean and dry then just peel it off when you need to change it.