Author Topic: prep???????  (Read 1583 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
prep???????
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:36:37 pm »
ok some questions
1. about dogwood how long should i let it cure before cutting it to almost bow shape and how long should it cure afterwards?
2. sassafrass do you treat it alot like hickory debark and sseal back and ends for at least a month before using????

brother-in-law is clearing about 1/2 acre of land that has some of each on it that is extremely straight with very little twist in the bark have not worked with either of these and would love to hear from you guys that use it alot.

john
doc

Offline crooketarrow

Re: prep???????
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:49:27 pm »
   Sassafrass is a really light wood. LEAVE THE STAVES A LITTLE BIG IT WILL STWIST. Mine seasoned over a year at the time I hd a large surply of staves and I never get in a hurry at any thing when it comes to bows.

When I cut my dog wood I
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

Re: prep???????
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »
  When I cut my dog wood I cut it down to simi bow form sealed the whole bow and added reflex as it dryed only ever did 2 bows but both turned out great. I never use heat and always ad reflex like this. Like I said it will stwist I did the same at first (cut it to simi bow form) but they swisted so after that I sealed the ends and let dry in stave form. Sassafrass makes a super like bow though.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING