Author Topic: Need advice on a kids bow  (Read 3746 times)

Offline dbb

Need advice on a kids bow
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:35:07 pm »
Im going to make a bow for my nephew,but its gonna be a secret so i cant get all info .
He is 10 years,4'9" and a bit on the slim side and he should draw 22-23".
The thing is he is a smart kid so i cant just measure his strenght or he will figure out whats going on.

I guess many of you have kids and made bows for them,so what poundage should i go for?
Thing is,too little will feel like a toy and too much is no fun either and will make his form suffer.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Need advice on a kids bow
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »
25# @ 25" is a good weight to start with.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:44:41 pm »
Thanks PEARL DRUMS!
That should be around 20# at 22" or am i wrong there? and something to grow in to.

/Mikael

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:53:45 pm »
shoot for 20# @ 22" and just exercise it past a couple a inches, my oldest grandson is nine  a good jock playing football, laccrosse and shoots a bow and I built him one about 26-26# and it took him awhile to get to full draw, if the bow is a little light to start he'll end up with better form, jmo good luck, it's fun to get one over on them to ;), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:12 pm »
Close to that. The 5-8 yr olds get 20# @ 20". The 9-11 yr olds get 25# @ 22". After that age I play it by ear per their size and strength.  
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:23:17 pm »
Great thread, I am very interested as my oldest daughter (4 1/2) is already asking for her own bow and loves watching me shoot.
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:05:25 pm »
Thanks guys!
Now i just have to start building it,i think i will make a pyramid type with some cool print textilebacking for safety.
The looks is everything for the kids...and some grownups too ;D

/Mikael

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:41:31 pm »
I've just re-worked a bow as a kids bow. Ended up with 27# at 24" but I expect he'll only draw 22".
Best way to build a kids bow? Try to build a 40#adult one, screw it up then cut it down and re-work it ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dbb

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:03:29 pm »
The problem is that so far when i screw it up nothing remains to re-work to something bigger than a toothpick ;D

/Mikael

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32:12 pm »
for the real young ones I've got quarter by 1 1/2" by 4' oak slats, glue a handle on and cut it out as a pyramid bow, glue on some nock overlays, sand it and ya got a 14# bow at about 16" draw, real fast and easy, you can build one in a couple a hours, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 12:03:00 am »
A tricky way to get him to measure his draw weight is to have him "help" you while you are tillering a lighter weight bow, but still more than he can fully draw.  Just ask him to pull as far as he can.  Mark where the arrow stops coming back and later pull that bow to that draw length and measure the draw weight.  He'll be proud as punch that he was able to help you with the tillering job and you'll collect his draw weight. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 04:59:02 am »
A tricky way to get him to measure his draw weight is to have him "help" you while you are tillering a lighter weight bow, but still more than he can fully draw.  Just ask him to pull as far as he can.  Mark where the arrow stops coming back and later pull that bow to that draw length and measure the draw weight.  He'll be proud as punch that he was able to help you with the tillering job and you'll collect his draw weight. 
Ha cunning... you are spot on, kids love to help.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dbb

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 02:11:34 pm »
Cunning indeed ,problem is i live in another town almost 4 hrs away.
I guess ill go with the 25@25 and bring the scraper with me on my next visit to make minor tweaks if needed.
At that weight he should be able to use it without developing bad habits that so easily comes with a too heavy bow.

/Mikael

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:30:12 pm »
 You can be off an inch or so and all will be fine.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:32:11 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline dbb

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 03:40:43 pm »
Hehe the drawlenght i got,i tickled him silly ,and when he was tryin to return the favor i put my hand on his upper chest and checked how far he reached on my arm with both hands and measured on my arm later.

/Mikael