Author Topic: Complete set  (Read 3653 times)

Stringman

Complete set
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:15:28 am »
Ok, I've got this plan to go hunt a wilderness area in Colorado for some of that fine Elk meat that everyone raves about. It's been in my mind to do for a couple of years and things just kept gettin in the way. Well, I'm gettin pretty close to sealin that deal and I've been workin to put a huntin set together that would be all primitive and fitting of the country I'm headed to. The bow, I made last year. The arrows I've been makin out of cane shafts I swapped for (thanks Mark!) I finished the knife a couple months ago--made out of osage and an old hack saw blade.And I just got one of the last pieces of this set from a new friend of mine who lives up North. I imagine you will recognize his work. He is trully a skilled leathersmith. I have to say "thanks so much," for this very special quiver. It is a perfect fit and just what I wanted! Rich, I hope you are as pleased with the trade as I am!

My wife kept laughin at me for posing for the pics, but I just wanted to see how it looked and felt from several different positions. I think it feels great!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Complete set
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:04:50 am »
Looks like you should be set,good looking stuff and I really like the quiver. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:08 am »
Looking really good! The only thing I would add is a good stone bladed skinning knife.  I have two, a big one for the hide and one Shannon made for me that I use for skinning the cape, legs, etc!  Good luck and post pictures of your hunt!  A/Ho Indian Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:34:30 am »
stringman,
     Them osage staves is perfect.....still think Ya got the short end of the trade, but I'm real glad the quiver suits ya. Hope ya get Elk blood all over it.
rich

Cacatch

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:06 am »
Great looking set, but I especially like the bow, what are the specs on it?

CP

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:04:57 am »
Not only can that yankee build incredible bows, he's mighty handly with a needle and tread too.  Looks like you're ready to get after an elk.  When you go be sure to take tons of pics so the rest of us can live vicariously through your experience.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:08:44 am »
 Nice, nice, nice. Glad ya like them. Rich does some fine work (hand crafting) Now ya know, you'll have to take a pic of that elk with all the equipment laying with it ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »
Great looking set! Now get after those Elk. Oh, since I'm smaller than you that shirt would probably fit me better. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 08:03:03 pm »
Looks real good Scott! Bring some of your stuff to the jam and we'll gander at it closer. ;)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 08:56:07 pm »
 Should those arrow shafts look familiar?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:02:55 am »
Thanks for all the compliments. I read somewhere once that this could be the best part of the trip. Prepping, outfitting, sharpening, building.... anticipating! While I am certainly enjoying it, I hope that actually stepping foot in those hills will be far superior to all the build up. I am gonna do my best to take as many pics as I can before the battery runs out. But you all know how it is... pictures won't do it justice.

Rich, we can argue about it, but I'm happy if you're happy.   ;D

Cacatch, The bow is about 68" t-t. Draws near 60# @ 29" and I used it to take that buck I posted on here last Oct. with obsidian points.

Eddie, I'm still contemplating putting some sleeves on that shirt. The only problem is since buckskin don't stretch I have a little trouble getting it to slip off after I get hot. So I'm thinkin that sleeves might compound that problem. Not sure if I will take it with me on the hunt since I will be packin everything in on my back and don't want to carry any extra weight.

Mark, some of those are yours. And let me just say they shoot great with that bow. I have some very special arrows made up and just let me get within range of a set of walkin backstraps. If I don't make a believer outta him it won't be from lack of trying!!

Scott

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »
Very nice. Looks to be a working outfit. Watch out Wapiti !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline johnston

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 03:42:12 pm »
Scott the whole concept is way cool and the equipment top notch. I like it all.

Lane