Author Topic: first edger blade knife!  (Read 11791 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
first edger blade knife!
« on: June 05, 2011, 04:32:13 pm »
Well, here it is. Once the handle finish dries well I'll use my Lansky Sharpening System to put a good edge on it then I can see if my "heat treating" is good enough.  :D   Not too shabby for my first real knife making, if I say so myself!  ;D
  I learned a bunch of stuff while making this one. The next should be a bit better.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

Re: first edger blade knife!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:52:56 pm »
That looks real nice.  Congrats.  I have one to do too, but I keep making bows. ???  I hope mine is half that good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:58:50 pm »
Thanks George. I can see this has the possibilities to become addictive like bow building.  ::)
I'm all done with my "have to make" bows but now I need to build some "wanna make" bows!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 05:18:25 pm »
That's all I need, another addiction.  It sure looks fun though.  I have the second coat of finish on my trade bow, once that is off to its new home I can tackle the knife.  Of course, I have 3 other bows in process.  Gotta love it.  Again, nice knife.   George
St Paul, TX

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 08:39:08 pm »
nice knife pat! i like making those edger blade knives. your shape looks really good. :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:56:24 pm »
Turned out really nice Pat...forget about it being your first...and remember...it won't be your last.......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:56:42 pm »
That is a really nice knife Pat, looks like a good candidate to dress out your deer this season. ;)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:14:10 pm »
Great looking knife, Pat.  If you're not happy with the edge holding capabilities send the 2nd one to me.  I'll heat treat it for you and send it back for you to finish.  I just finished my fire brick forge so I can have it turned around in just a couple of days.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:51:15 pm »
Jonathan do you have instructions for the fire brick forge? I'd like to make a small one for doing this stuff myself.   So far the blade seems to hold an edge. I'll let you know and maybe send the other to you to temper properly.
  I cheated on the shape!  :-[  I traced the knife I got from Bobby Keller a few years ago. I love the shape for an all purpose hunting/skinning knife.
  Josh, the edger blades make it pretty easy to do.  I have some good bandsaw blade pieces that I want to work after I get some experience. I want to make my own trade points too. A lot easier than knapping!  :D
  Thanks Eric and Mike.   Mike, it won't be my last!  ;)   ...like I need another addiction.  :D

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:23:58 pm »
It's pretty easy to do, Pat.  Just get 2 soft fire brick and rasp out a section on one side of each, then when you sandwich them together you have your hole for your knife.  Drill a hole in the side of one brick just big enough to fit the tip of a propane or MAPP torch.  I added another brick, which I sawed in half to cover the ends and hold more heat in.  Wayne Coe sells the soft fire brick for $3 each, which is the cheapest I've found, and 3 of them can fit in a large flat rate box.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 11:50:58 pm »
nice job.
john 3:16

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 11:59:16 pm »
Thanks Jonathan. I'll have to give it a try. I'll check locally for soft fire brick. Lots of potters around here.
  Thanks rover.

These are the tools I used. A large flat file, a coarse half round file, a big hammer and a cold chisel and a small peening hammer(for peening the handle pins). I also use a chainsaw file for the hard to reach areas.

...close up of the raw cut-out..

...the raw cut-out with it's finished twin and new sheath...

...and how the blades fit in the edger blade...

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 10:12:15 pm »
That is a real nice knife,got me wanting to make some more.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 01:05:03 am »
Thanks Yeti.   I't was nice to meet and shooting with you and your son at Hickory.  8)

Here is the other piece of the edger blade transformed but not tempered yet. I shortened the overall length and gave it a little bit different look. Should make a nice little skinner or neck knife.    I did a bit more file work on this one to reduce the "hump" between the blade and edge and remove some of the pitting.   The handle scales are boxwood I collected(  ::) ) on my landscaping job. I never realized how pretty boxwood is. A nice creamy white with streaks of butter(color) in it...and hard as you know what!!!  :o

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 07:48:27 am »
Looks good Pat,got to love working on them knives. :) :) I have got to really enjoy it for a change. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good