Author Topic: Types of Loose's  (Read 9138 times)

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
Types of Loose's
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:58:25 am »
What types of warbow loose's are there? I know of the popular rolling loose for flight shoots. Are there any more? For some reason I recall hearing of a "D" loose. I cant remember where or when I heard or read about it.  Just curious.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Types of Loose's
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:06 pm »
sorry for my ignorance, but what is a loose ???
thanks
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:51 pm »
sorry for my ignorance, but what is a loose ???
thanks
noel

the letting go of the string/arrow  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:43:07 pm »
I think that once you are holding over 100 pounds on your fingers, letting go isn't much of an issue ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 03:36:30 pm »
I've not heard of a D loose.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 03:48:14 pm »
I think that once you are holding over 100 pounds on your fingers, letting go isn't much of an issue ::).
Del
  Bad kitty!
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 05:21:24 pm »
There isn't any type of loose there is no such thing as a D loose, the rolling loose well as much as I like the people that use it isn't a theory certainly not a fact, they look at period artwork where the archers is drawing low and copy that as the first movement. It works for some but if you look at the physics they are only losing power by doing it.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 04:52:01 am »
Ok, thanks guys  :)  Must have just been my imagination then.  There was a youtube vid posted by G. Carnie demonstrating the "rolling loose" which sparked my curiosity.  I prefer to draw and loose as Mark Stretton does, with the backside sticking out.  I get made fun of at my club but it makes pulling heavy draw weights so easy I see no reason why someone can't reach 100+ lbs in a month or two.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 06:20:53 am »
Ok, thanks guys  :)  Must have just been my imagination then.  There was a youtube vid posted by G. Carnie demonstrating the "rolling loose" which sparked my curiosity.  I prefer to draw and loose as Mark Stretton does, with the backside sticking out.  I get made fun of at my club but it makes pulling heavy draw weights so easy I see no reason why someone can't reach 100+ lbs in a month or two.
Ah, that sounds more like methods of draw rather than loose...
And I'd agree that one needs to find a way to utilse the whole body...I'd love to see one of those target archers who blether on about form, trying a T draw on a 100lb bow >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »
'Sticking your butt out' while drawing is actually proper form for drawing heavy bows, and is called 'shooting in (into) the bow.' It allows you to use your entire body to draw a heavy bow. As far as the loose goes, I prefer not to use a rolling loose, but rather a sustained loose, more like conventional flight shooters. For pure flight shooting, the longer you leave the bow at full draw, the less cast it will have. Flight shooters almost snap shoot, only allowing the bow to remain at full draw for a very brief instant. A rolling loose requires a much longer period of having the heavy bow at full draw. All that jumping and lungng forward is also unnecessary. It looks good, but imparts no extra energy to the arrow. I think some guys do that to make sure they are following through.

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:14:41 pm »
while reading this I became curious ??? as to what a rolling loose is, so i looked it up on youtube and this is the first vid I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEIk_INOaY (yes this is the one mentioned above)
first I need to state a couple (humble) things: while I have little knowledge on heavy draw weight bows("warbows") I do have the experience of teaching youth (anywhere from 6-17) and adults (I've been the archery director at a boy scout summer camp for a few years, and have run ranges for the council for a little while before that); also I'm also working on my physics degree.
Teaching the youth (under 12 usually) is some of the most fun I've ever had but the thing is they sometimes have trouble drawing 15-20# bows. So I teach them a different way to draw the string, in which they use both arms to draw the bow and to loose quickly (more on this in a sec). After having watched this vid several times I see some things I like about it and well 1 thing I don't like.
That is the pushing off w/ the back foot; from a instructor point of view (especially for those who are new to this) it has safety hazard written all over it; from a physics point of view it does very little to add to speed to the arrow (this is assuming the release of the arrow and push off are timed perfect) the reason for this is that they (the push and and launch of the arrow) are 2 different force vectors and only a small part of the pushing vector is imparted onto the launch vector, but it is added (if done exactly right)
The only other problem is consistency, with a modern style draw you can be very consistent w/ your shots (necessary for target shooting, dosen't matter much if you plan on taking out an invading army); using this push off method makes it so that you have to reset your stance every time, and I'll be honest for us guys that is not an easy thing to do (w/o massive, constant practicing) , but ladies have an easier time w/ it, don't ask me why thats just how it is.

Now the way I teach youth who have problems drawing certain weights is this:
first hold the bow so arrow points to the ground infront of them
next draw the string to they're cheek/corner of mouth (where ever they're drawing to)
while drawing bring the bow up to where they are aiming
once they have it on target loose
Is this similar to how flight shooters do it?

sorry for being soo long winded, but my opinions usually are :)...

--Mark R.

Am fear nach glèidh na h-airm san t-sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n àm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb

Offline Ian.

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 06:18:17 pm »
With respect I think you have missed the point a little,
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:31:24 pm »
I'd have to agree.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 12:50:23 am »
Marz5 ,

I agree with you, logically the "rolling Loose" should add next to nothing to the forces driving the arrow, but as I understand it all the current EWBS record holders use the method and believe they gain distance using it, so either the method does indeed work or something in the process permits a smoother loose and by doing so permits longer distances to be shot.

Craig.

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 02:58:07 pm »

I do apologize for that, and shall restate it simply:
Why do they push off w/ the back foot in a rolling loose?
Also how does a flight shooter draw?

--Mark R.
Am fear nach glèidh na h-airm san t-sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n àm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb