Author Topic: Inspired  (Read 2544 times)

Offline dbb

Inspired
« on: June 04, 2011, 06:18:36 pm »
Got inspired by all those curvy boo backed bows lately so i had to try myself.
I didnt get quite the "curviness" i wanted,ill do better next time :)
Its 60"ttt bamboobacked oak with horn tips and cutout shelf.
Btw,the tips wont look like that later ,its just temorary for the tillering
Only floortillerd so far.Sadly my workspace is so tiny i have a hard time taking pics on the tree..

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Re: Inspired
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:32:19 pm »
Looking good buddy!  ;)

Did you scorch the back of the boo there right below the handle section, or is it just discoloration?

I still haven't decided if mine will get tip overlays or not, still thinking on it. It's too hot outside to do anymore work on it till late this evening when the sun goes down.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:39:11 pm »
it is scorched,i had to straighten it some.

/Mikael

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 06:41:04 pm »
Two questions.

What's the intended draw length and weight?

Exactly how thick is the boo?

Offline dbb

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 06:58:51 pm »
i aim for 50#@28" but if it ends up pulling 45# its ok,and the bamboo is convex just under 0.16" (4mm)and thinner at the edges.

/Mikael

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »
Had a tough time with this one,it delaminated at full draw with a bang that made me check my underwear :o Right after that the riser popped off >:D
But at last i got it together after  i got better glue.
The thought was to leave it natural,but the regluing left some ugly marks and i didnt want to loose weight so i just stained the whole bow.It shoots straight and hard...but i have a feeling it wont last too long.Perhaps i ask for to much with the long draw, long riser and boo backing..well i enjoy it while it lasts ;D
So here it is bamboobacked oak 60" ttt 51# @28"

/Mikael

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:10:13 pm »
Mr constructive criticism says careful you have a hinge right on the upper fade. And that's why the handle prob popped off. Too much stress right at the handle.  But lower limb looks great at full draw. :)

Enjoy it

Offline dbb

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:22:46 pm »
Yeah,it developed today while i was putting 2oo arrows through it,or more correctly got worse.
The intresting thing is the chrysals developing on the lower limb..Is the boo to strong for the oak?
Was a fun and educational bow to build and if i get up early ill put another 200 arrows through her ,or as many she can take :)
The next one ill only make new mistakes on ;D

/Mikael

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 11:35:30 pm »
boo too strong for oak?  Nah...the oak is too weak for the boo. ;D

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 07:38:02 pm »
I use nothing but Urac 185 for gluing bamboo backings on. Haven't had one delaminate yet......knock on wood!

If you used Urac this go around I think you should be fine.

Offline dbb

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 08:15:41 pm »
Urac is sadly not available here,but i have found something that might be the same (uredana 450) a powder that you mix with water.
Good for laminations and have good resistance to water ,sounds about right i think.
For now i use  a epoxy called aeropoxy101 with hardener 205,very nice glue.It is  low viscose almost like laquer and soaks into the wood,and it have a long open time too.I havnt had any fails yet with it,the bow took another 120 arrows today,still nice to shoot but have lost a bit of power,and the chrysals is getting worse..a few more and i will have a folding bow ;D

/Mikael

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:30:20 pm »
/Mikael it is still a nice bow even if short lived. Would like to see a close up of the grip...

Anyone who wants to play this game needs a sense of humor and you have that. Hell, some of my stuff would make you laugh out loud.

You built it and it worked. Next!

Lane

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 03:25:43 am »
How true, well said Johnston. I just recently had a couple of failures myself, one due to belly wood defects and the other one was my fault. I can handle losing one to a material failure, but when it's my fault I tend to dwell on it for a while afterwards. The good thing is that I learned alot from each one and it only makes you better the next time around.

Keep making those bows Mikael and you will get it right, just don't give up on it. Learn from the mistakes and strive to not repeat them on the next one. It sound like you know what went wrong and your already on the right path to making a sweet shooter, keep up the good work!

~SEMO~

Offline dbb

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:37:52 am »
Thanks for the peptalk guys,but dont worry im havin too much fun to stop makin bows.And if you cant laugh at something its probably not worth taking serious either ;)
The good thing is that I learned alot from each one and it only makes you better the next time around.

~SEMO~
Thats the way i think too,if i learn something the day isnt wasted.
@ johnston
The bow died "sob" this morning after another 20 something shots and i split the riser off before i saw this post,but i can post a pic of it later today together with a good pic on what chrysals do to wood.
Right now im on my way to the pub with friends to celebrate that vacation starts 8) I send a thought when i taste the first cold beer ;D

/Mikael

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 12:06:48 pm »
There ya go! Nothing wrong with drowning the sorrows of a lost bow with a few stiff drinks, wish I could join you right about now! The heat here is climbing back up near 100 deg.F as everyday goes by and we are heading into the hottest month of the year..........August. Wheeehhhh............man I hate summer!  :-\ 8)