Author Topic: Glued up a BBO today  (Read 5567 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Re: Glued up a BBO today
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 03:18:45 am »
Thanks Pat and Lane.
Rags is pretty much the story of my life Pat.
Take something ugly and make something nice out of it, so much more reward in that and makes you appreciate it more. I don't scoff at complicated staves anymore like I did when I first started.  ;)

It's amazing how much strength a thin piece of bamboo adds to a piece of osage when it's added as a backing. The osage blank that I started with wouldn't have tipped the scale at 35# maybe, but after adding the boo it's gotta be at least 70# or better now. I only need about 50-55# so this worked out perfect, I've got plenty there to get my tiller right.

Gonna start tillering in the morning while it's cool, then quit when it gets too hot. Times like this is when I wish I had a basement to work in.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 10:56:20 am »
Semo, my spare bedroom in our basement is where I do all my work...it is easier 15 degrees cooler than even the main level let alone what it is outside!  It's been very nice but the wife is starting to crack down on the amount of yellow gold dust and pig-tailed scraper shaving that seem to stick to my legs and follow me up stairs  ::)

Can Urac be bought over the counter at any of the big box stores or only at specialty stores like 3 Rivers, etc.?

Thanks!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 11:38:48 am »
I've never seen it at any of the big warehouse hardware stores, so I bought mine from 3Rivers. There are some archery suppliers on TG that sell it and it may be a bit cheaper than 3Rivers? The shipping is what gets ya, I wish I could find half the stuff that I use around here locally. We only have 1 archery/sporting goods shop within 100 miles of me and they don't have squat for traditional archers. They cater to speed bow shooters mainly and the well to do types.
I did get a big farriers rasp at a local feed store the other day and it was way cheaper than any archery supplier, I thought about buying the whole box but didn't have the extra $ to do that at the time. At least I know where I can get more.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 01:46:26 pm »
Yeah, figured that might be the case with the Urac.  I'll snoop around and find the low ball price somewhere...  Never used a Ferrier's rasp, just my Sureform and my Shinto but maybe I'll give one a try soon.  Heard the Nickolson #49 & #50 are the Cat's Meow but I haven't tried one and won't shuck out the coin until I can feel/see what's so special about them.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 02:14:39 pm »
Looks like she's gonna make a fine bow! I love that unbraced profile.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 02:36:24 pm »
Thanks Cam!

Lee- The Farriers rasp I got is generally used for shoeing horses, that's why the feed store has them but it's the same thing you buy from 3Rivers and pay a whole lot more for.
I bet most people don't even know what a Farrier is? Here's an excerpt I pulled off the internet for those who have ever wondered what a Farrier's Rasp actually is, what it's used for, and how it got it's name.
This is my little history lesson for y'all today free of charge.........Your welcome.  ;D

"The meaning of the term "farrier" has changed dramatically over the centuries from a horse doctor to a person who shoes horses. How the change of usage came about isn't clear, and the reason is probably lost in the mists of time. The few remaining sources of information come mostly from old books. Many people are often surprised by the volume of treatments and remedies found in old farriery books and the lack of information on horseshoeing. This is because, historically, a farrier was a horse doctor. It is only in the last hundred years that people who shod horses began calling themselves farriers."

I won't say how much I paid for it just in case I decide to buy a box of them and sell them on my Sponsor's Ad page on TG, but I can make guys a much better deal on them than any archery supply place ever could. That just tells me how much mark up there is on archery supplies.
I might make up a few of my draw knives also and put them on there as well.
It's got a real agressive side that will flat eat up an osage stave in a hurry and works great for prepping staves when I smooth down the edges where there's lots of snagglies and stringies sticking out.
Then there's a smoother side on the opposite side that works great for just about everything else and I really like it cause the file is so wide. I used it to clean up the edge of my BBO after it came out of the caul after glue up. It made short work of the excess hard glue and filed down the edge of my boo till it was flush with the edge of the osage. It has now become my favorite rasp that I own.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 02:59:07 pm »
Yup, knew what they were just hadn't tried them yet  ;D but a good "historical read/perspective is always a good thing.

I have a few rough, stringer Osage splits I need to clean up so if that rasp works nicely for that task it would be worth picking one up.  Something for me to do this week.  Wife and boys are heading down to VA for 10 days leaving this coming Friday so it will be a BOW Build-A-Thon for me here in just a few days.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 03:03:27 pm »
I love it when I finally get some time to myself, peace and solitude. I can usually get so much more accomplished when there aren't any interruptions.
Didn't mean to sound like I was educating you on the Farriers rasp, I just threw that out there for anybody that didn't know.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 03:08:24 pm »
I know you weren't...folk's have been trying to do that for decades and haven't succeeded so I knew you weren't taking that task on  >:D  LOL

Anyway, I've rambled on & on enough on your BBO build thread so I'll take a seat and watch the action.  ;)

Thanks bud!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold