Author Topic: Glued up a BBO today  (Read 5568 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
Glued up a BBO today
« on: June 04, 2011, 02:29:54 am »
I glued up a BBO for my TG Bow Swap bow this morning. Came out real nice I think, glue lines look nice.
I just got done cleaning the edges up and took a few pics, probably start tillering tomorrow early in the morning then quit during the day when it gets hot. It was near 100 deg. here today and that's way too hot way too early for Missouri. It was still 88 deg. at 10 pm when I came back in the house!  :o
What the heck is going on with the weather?  :-\

Anyway, here's some pics of the stave I started with and what I ended up with. Just goes to show that no matter what a stave looks like when you start, you just gotta have faith that you can straighten it out. Just call it bull headed grit and determination on my part, I haven't let a piece of wood beat me yet.  ;D

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

Re: Glued up a BBO today
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 02:31:47 am »
Here's a few more.

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 05:23:35 am »
Nice curves,somehow that shape makes me wanna wolfwhistle :D

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:15:58 am »
Hey Semo, looks real good...for some reason I figured that for that caul you would use thinner Osage lams, maybe 2 or more in order to get it to follow all the curves well?  I hadn't thought about chasing a ring down and then thinning the snot out of it after heat straightening the whole mess.  I guess I would be too worried about the stave being perfectly straight/square so that the glues lines would be perfect for the Boo.  Although having a slight crown would be nice for mating the Boo too...

I tried a Hickory / Osage glue up on mine this week but there was a bit of twist in the Osage plank I had planed down and even after 18 hours of sitting glued to the caul it popped apart at one of the limb bends the minute I took the last clamp off...suppose I could have accidently glue starved it by clamping too hard (trying to get it tight to the side and bottom of the caul, damn twist) soooo no "wicked winged monster" for me too try tillering this week  :'(

Plus, I think I need to find a good Mill and use a better Hickory source as another Hick backed bow I built this week failed at a dry rotted area internally in the Hick.  I know everyone loves the stuff but right now I'm only 1 for 4 using this wood as a backing. @#$#@%$!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 10:47:07 am »
Looking real good, that was one crooked stave you started with.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 02:25:41 pm »
Thanks guys. Dbb.....I feel the same way, I love the sexy R/D hybrid shape of this caul and it's all I plan to use anymore. It's such an efficient design and from what I've studied about it is that it utilizes the largest percentage of stored energy in the limbs over any other bow design and that's why they are so popular right now. Didn't take guys long to figure out how much sting it adds to your string, or zip in your tip, and puts some sizzle in your fizizzle.  8) :D

Lee- This bow was going to be an osage selfbow originally all 1 single piece from a single stave, but there were a couple spots on the back after chasing the ring that had me concerned. I didn't feel comfortable with those areas so I decided to back it with boo.
The problem is that I sell or have sold all my good osage and tend to keep the lesser goods for my own use. It's more of a chore to make bows out of, but I think it's made me better because I'm always working with challenging wood.
All I had to do was flatten the back on the belt sander, then flatten the boo to the thickness I want and glued it up with Urac. What kind of glue were you using when you had the failure? If it was Urac, it needs at least 80 degrees temps in order to set up good and it has some really great gap filling properties that will help make up for tiny mistakes that we make. The two surfaces don't have to be perfect to get a good glue joint, just use plenty of Urac, get a good solid clamp up and the glue will take care of the rest.

Thanks Hrothgar. Like I said before I sold all my good osage and keep the lesser staves for my own bow making, but that's not a problem normally because I can always go out and cut more. At this particular time it was a problem because even though I had some better staves on hand, they aren't seasoned yet and didn't have time to wait on them. The TG bow swap bows are supposed to be shipped out by the second week in July, so even though I'm not rushed or anything, I still didn't have time to get a fresh piece of osage dry in time to meet the deadline.

Now that this one is off the caul I can start working toward my next project which will involve the use of Ipe.
I'm getting excited just thinking about the screamer that will be coming next, I've got lots of cool ideas for the next one.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 02:27:29 pm »
nice work on that one Semo, pretty impressivehow you got the twist out and the two surfaces mated up.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 03:51:10 pm »
Those like a yellow rocket fuel to me!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 04:17:30 pm »
Since it was a Hick / Osage I just used TBIII and I did wipe them both down well with acetone prior to gluing. 
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 04:28:11 pm »
Lookin good!  :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 06:23:37 pm »
Thanks Will.

Lee- I use TB II on some things, but never on a backing since I have Urac. I've used TB II on handle lams where there is no stresses. Not saying that TB glue won't do the job, but I'm not taking any chances and I know the Urac won't turn loose.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:54 pm »
Thanks Chris, guess I'll have to invest in some Urac at some point then...
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 10:07:06 pm »
I would Lee if you plan on doing many backings. I'm just repeating what the older more experienced bowyers told me when I started doing this and then my experience with it has all been positive, I have no complaints about Urac except that it doesn't stick well to plastic...........don't ask.  ::)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 10:50:06 pm »
From rags to riches!  8)  Very nice bow so far Chris. You sure turned that twisted piece of yeller wood to GOLD!  8)  Well done!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnston

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 12:16:22 am »
Chris you sure did a nice job on this one. Almost makes me want a piece of osage.
Almost.

Lane