Author Topic: 7 year old son trying to make a head...thanks outbackbob.  (Read 2286 times)

blackhawk

7 year old son trying to make a head...thanks outbackbob.
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:47:09 pm »
Last weekend at the Presque Isle Field Archers shoot I finally got to try some knapping for my first time. I've been meaning to do this for over a year but just never pulled the trigger yet. There was some guys knapping and I was sucked into and fell into the pit. Outbackbob asked if I wanted to try n I hesitantly said suuuuure. Because I knew if I enjoyed it as much as makin bows then I knew I wood be screwed.  I tried thinning it down on my lap but wasn't getting good flakes so I changed up to free hand percussion and had good success with that method pulling thinning flakes. Meanwhile my son was nearby and constantly checking up on me. During a break from the rock I caught my son just staring at Bob making a head. Oh no...I could see him totally sucked in and amazed. On sat night there was a raffle and Bob donated that head he made while my son intently watched make. My sons number was called and he went up to the table to pick a prize and he came back with that head.  ;D

Here's the head.

Today my wife had the kids outside and look what my 7 year old son is trying to do with the gravel in our drive way. Thanks Bob :D

As you see he's trying to freehand perfusion flakes like dad   ;D

Thanks again Bob for letting me thin a rock and use your tools and teaching me some basic thinning to preforms.  >:D
And look what you did to my son :D

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: 7 year old son trying to make a head...thanks outbackbob.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 12:00:11 am »
Wow, I didn't realize that was your son that won the point, I,m glad that he got it seeing that he was interested in the process. Also didn't realize he was watching so much, Sometimes I miss alot because I'm looking down for my next hit. Hope people don't think its rude when talking to them an not looking at them. I'm sure glad that I got a chance to help you an your son, wished I  would have started that young  8) 8). Bill H. an I cut a tree down on Monday to use in some basket weaving.I took some of the bark that we stripped off an made a bark container. I'll post some pics later on, maybe next time we can get your son doing some other primitive skills ;D ;D ;D . Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 12:08:08 am »
Gonna have to get that boy some flint. That road gravel just ain't gonna work :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 12:35:48 am »
@Bob...He was totaly fascinated by it. And no worries about not paying attention to what's going on around you,I understand the tunnel vision breaking rock gives ya  >:D.   Now I need to work on getting some tools n rock gathered up...wait make that a double tools n rock :D

@Cowboy...I didn't have the heart to tell him that type of rock wont work(next time)...n my wife n I had a good chuckle afterwards :D

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 11:26:31 am »
Good stuff and Cowboy good eye...always noticing the type of rock someones using...LOL

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline nocams

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »
That Outbackbob is a fine gent for sure. Met him two years ago at Pappy's Classic. My son Mason, ( StoneMason ), has been knapping since he was 9 after getting sucked in by Jesse and Shannon. I decided to jump in the pool last year and between Jesse, Shannon, OutbackBob, SailorDad, and others on here I too now suffer from, " Rock Beatin Fever " !!! Bob got to witness firsthand this year at the Classic my extreme case of the fever. Mason would take the rock out of my hand and try to show me my next hit and as he would try to hit it I would take the rock back away from him !

So awesome to see your young feller at 7 wanting to knap. Encourage him and as he progresses buy him the tools and good rock he will need to progress. Jesse took me aside 2 years ago and told me to start building Mason's toolbox and get him better rock. It has been a ride and a trip to watch my son progress from 9-15 now under the fine instruction and help from all the fine gents here on PA. Some of the best time we have spent and spending now in our own rock pit knapping together. I especially enjoy learning from my own son !!! Stay at it and enjoy the, " Rock Beatin Fever ". Time is the greatest gift we can give one another. Your son will never forget that.

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 03:17:44 pm »
Mason is only 15??? That boy is 10ft tall and has a TON of talent! Good meeting yall this year at Pappys

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:41:49 pm »
Wow...that's really cool nocams. I bet its humbling and hard,and ya gotta bite your tongue sometimes taking instruction from your own teenage son.  :-X.   He was trying again yesterday with the gravel and I had to tell him the truth(which was tough to do) that that type of rock doesn't work,and his face kinda sunk,but told him it was really cool that he was trying. I thought maybe he was a little young to knap,but I think im wrong seeing how young your son started out at. As I start out ill let him smash some up too. I know his attention span at that age will only last twenty mins but that's ok.  :)    I just got done giving him a guitar lesson,and if he can pay attention and get thru that he can def bash rock for twenty. May not be pretty but he ll enjoy breaking it.  ;D heck mine ain't gonna be pretty either  :D

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:55:04 pm »
Blackhawk, I,ve seen the son father teacher student thing between  Mason an his Dad an it's sure fun to watch. I'm gonna suggest to Mason to give Dad a timeout ;D ;D If he doesn't listen an gets that rock beatin fever instead of slowing down an listening to his young teacher. All kidding aside I have sat down an knapped with Mason the last 2 yrs and its been my pleasure.

Offline nocams

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:12 am »
blackhawk,
keep him at it if he has truly been bit by the knapping bug. They learn so much more at that age than us old codgers who are set in their ways.

Justin, yes, it was good to meet you to bud. Got to meet several new folks this year at Pappys. Cool place to do that isn't it !

Bob, forget about the timeout for me...... I am thinking about making Mason do all the work around the house for a few weeks if he does not quit being a " Rock Hog ", on me !!! I opened up the bucket the other day thinking we probably had about 4-5 good spalls left and we are down to 1 !!! I think he has "Rock Beatin Fever ", instead of me, haha !!! We are headin to Compton on the 17th and will sit with Mike Cook and Jon. Will try some Yankee rocks while we are there. May get to try some stuff we have not hit before ?