Author Topic: Throwing knife help??  (Read 1907 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Throwing knife help??
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:11:17 pm »
I need some help getting a good design for a throwing knife I plan to make. Any help in design and use would be helpful and appreciated.  I'm going to be using a piece of weldable steel from Tractor Supply. I'm going for 12 inches tip to butt. 1/8 to 3/16 thick.  Thanks
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Throwing knife help??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »
I think you'd be better off using different steel, Bill.  That stuff won't heat treat at all.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:41:29 pm »
Hey Bill....shoot me a text. Remember im a machinist and have access to metals. I can prob get ya some good stuff that'll heat treat real well. Im sure we can work something out. I see your getting hooked to the hawks n knives after the P.I.F.A. shoot  :)

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:36:03 am »
Yeah I haven't shot my bow all week.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »
Bill got that throwing knife made and finished with that piece of tractor supply steel. His computer crashed so im posting the photos for him.

Its 13" from butt to tip. Leather wrap handle.

Looks like it throws and sticks good to me.

I told him not to let me throw it next time we see each other cus ill just end up dulling it in the dirt  :D