Author Topic: Just an observation...  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Just an observation...
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:51:33 pm »
If you are watching a show on TV and there is a scene with folks running through the woods and you are paying more attention the the trees and shape of the saplings as they pass through what does it mean?   >:D

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline dbb

Re: Just an observation...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:53:55 pm »
Hehe
You got the bug...bad!
Me? I just look at trees with a predatory glint in the eye  :D

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:02:17 pm »
I bet there are zero to few folks on this board that can NOT relate to what you are saying. I've done the same thing with "RealTree" camo designs. Tried to figure out what tree was what and if it would be good bow wood.

;D

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:07:32 pm »
Lee it means you have the same affliction as those of us who can't watch a movie like Robin Hood without noticing how nobody seems to be holding the bow right or coming to a consistent anchor point.  ::)
I can't go on a family trip anywhere without watching for Osage or River cane growing along side the roadway and up through the ditches/fence rows.

Went to my uncle's house the other day for Memorial Day barbeque and noticed some nice Hackberry growing in the vacant lot acrossed from his driveway.

People who don't understand think I'm a little off.  :-\
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:10:53 pm »
Walking through my college campus everyday is torture.  There is one complete tree garden comprised of about 25 White Ash trees, as well as various other great bow wood trees planted randomly throughout campus. Sigh  :-\

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »
Yep I look at all trees as potential bows.  Plus looking for good cane as I go down the road.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:38:12 pm »
LOL, glad to hear I'm not the only "normal" guy around here.  Semo, just glued up a Hickory / Osage on the Traveling Caul form this morning (off work this week has been nice, have gotten LOTS of cools things in the works) and I after debarking and working down a Syringa stave last week I slipped it in the steaming rig and put it on another form to take out some bend and align the tips to the handle.  Might need a touch more heat in a few days to get a touch more movement in the handle.

Dag, was driving 2 ours away last weekend for a Pathfinder Campout weekend for my boys and drove past a 6 acre Arboretum and boy did I want to come back after dark and snatch a few "samples"  O:)

Yup, got the bug bad but it's a good thing~
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »
I was at a funeral a while back and noticed all the Hornbeam which had been copiced in the adjoining woodland :o.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:01 pm »
I was at a funeral a while back and noticed all the Hornbeam which had been copiced in the adjoining woodland :o.
Del
;D :-[ ;D

Too funny..
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:25 pm »
Never used to let my wife drive before this addiction but I almost get in or cause more accidents since I started looking for bow wood while driving 55 down the highway. And I never used to get car sick until my bow addiction either now where ever we go im in the passenger seat looking at trees wiz by thinking to my self was that Ocean Spray ??? ME "O that one had to be a Yew tree turn around honey I want to check that out, oops no it wasnt" Or I get out inspect the tree get back in and say "no it wasnt as straight as it looked when we wizzed by it" ::) WIFE "Im not stopping again Josh!!!" ;D :D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

HatchA

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »
Never used to let my wife drive before this addiction but I almost get in or cause more accidents since I started looking for bow wood while driving

I hear that!!!

Offline randman

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »
I was wondering last week if I am the only "sicko" that was looking at the tornado destruction in Missouri and (after
shedding a tear and saying a prayer for all the people involved) thinking "look at all that bow wood going to waste-
Oh the Humanity!"
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline snag

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 09:31:08 pm »
When I'm driving I'm always looking at the trees in the hills, people's yards, parks,......
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:34:06 pm »
   I have been feeling really guilty about thinkiing about bow wood while watching the tornado damage, I feel horrible for the poor folks who have lost everything and my mind still wanders over to the down trees. Thats addiction.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:03 pm »
I get aggravated when I walk by a stack of firewood. What a waste of bow wood! :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!