Author Topic: American Warbow Society  (Read 53394 times)

Offline NC_Warbow

Re: American Warbow Society
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:05 am »
Hello all, Ive been a 'lurker' for awhile, time to come out of hiding! Im very excited to see whats developing here! I would be quite interested in helping and joining the AWBS. Im from Charlotte, North Carolina; anyone else around my area?

I have an 80in 110# hickory backed yew warbow. I have yet to try making my own bow.. YET.. I am slowly gathering tools :p I do make my own arrows though. Will be starting on a new batch of 1/2 Poplar shafts, tapered to 3/8 with some perdy Hector Cole heads ;D Just need to wait until afew things arrive.. its like christmas o.o Anyone else happen to be in the SCA? I also joined the facebook group earlier :)
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2012, 01:56:15 am »
welcome ;D, its great to have someone else join us, do you have skype by chance? we have meetings on there every few weeks
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline NC_Warbow

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2012, 10:13:24 pm »
Thank you! Ive always found the site VERY helpful, hoping I can help out with the start of the AWBS! I will have to make a skype account for theses meetings. Always helpful to beable to talk in 'person' rather than through posts, much quicker too! spent most of my sunday trying to find a single field I could do some distance shooting in.. not one! hahaha, thinking I may try to use a Golf range :P
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points but it is by no means the most interesting.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2012, 10:38:10 pm »
when you get a skype made, please post it, or if you don't want it out in the open, pm me and i can spread it within the awbs,

Offline Ironmonger

Re: American Warbow Society : UPDATE
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »
Ok...  getting closer to finished with Warbow Take 2... and it DID NOT BLOW UP!!! OMG!!!

I'm taking the "shooting in" on this bow much more slowly than Take 1 and have been taking the extra time to exercise it more and treat it with love and respect. Initial checks show, what to my eye, is a good compass tiller and its drawing 90# at 26" but I stopped pulling there due to my paranoia after that boo hic blew up in my face last time! lol We'll git er done though.

Posted a pic on my facebook of the groups and will get some other pics up as soon as I have some more time.
Sure I can pull that bow, can you?

Offline Will Carothers

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2012, 12:10:37 am »
Hey guys, i dont have a heavy weight warbow yet, all i have is a 60# elb, but i hope to make an 80+ pounder soon. And i just sent a request to join the facebook group!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2012, 05:06:57 pm »
60 is a great start, would you mind giving your email so i can add yu to the email list, and its great to have another join our ranks ;D

Offline Ironmonger

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2012, 05:43:33 pm »
Hey Will, welcome! Just remember, the formula for building up to the big bows is as follows:

1. Loose Arrow with heaviest bow you have
2. Repeat 1 until your arms fall off
3. Repeat 1 and 2 after the arms heal.

Simple!
Sure I can pull that bow, can you?

Offline Kullas

« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2012, 06:50:58 am »
I am interested also .
Chris from N. Ga

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2012, 12:39:32 pm »
ok, if you could please send me ypur email, i can put you on the email list, and welcome ;D

Offline Sixkiller

« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2012, 04:56:54 pm »
I would like to join the American Warbow Society. How do I join? I don't have a bow just yet, but I will be building myself one.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2012, 01:47:30 am »
Hello Sixkiller! You can find us on Facebook! Ask to join the American Warbow Society group page and you'll be added!

Offline MrWarSpoon

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:33 pm »
Likewise, I'm in Sixkiller's boat. In the process of building one right now. Haha funny story actually; just got a new band saw and figured that I'd break it in while making 1/4in hick backings... Just powerwashed the side of the house the other day and in my overzealous endeavor on the saw, I hooked up the hose of the shop vac in the secondary inlet. After blowing through 6-7 backings, I noticed that the vac had just covered the house in sawdust  ::) and my lady wasn't too thrilled. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? :'(

Offline Bowyer4Yew

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2012, 01:10:33 pm »
Hi Warbowmen,

I spent all of 2011 learning all about Yew shortbows, longbows and warbows...then found the staves and tools and learned how to build my own. I now have 4 bows of Yew I use regularly: Shortbow for castle turrets 55#, Targetbow for learning building and the technique 25#, longbow for training strength 82# and Warbow 135#...thee one  ;D

This American Warbow Society sounds good to me too...but I'll be spending all of 2013 building strength to get that 135# full draw mastered.
My current accomplishment in Yew is hitting a Clout at 180 yards, making a gold shot at 200 yards (180 meters) and shooting a full Clout Tournament with my 82# Yew Longbow which is 72 shots in an afternoon.

Any other Clout shooters out there?  :)
William
The only self bow with 0.00" set is a bow that never had a string on it.

Offline occupant

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2012, 10:30:27 pm »
Nothing around here with the needed range, unless you have enough land yourself. I joined the American Warbow Society a while back, but judging by the pins on the member map, I'm the only one within 500 miles.