Author Topic: American Warbow Society  (Read 53410 times)

Offline Jay

Re: American Warbow Society
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 11:29:25 am »
If this is to be a warbow group, i think history should be a big part of it. 
There is great info on this site.longbow-archers.com

Shooting at marks 150+_ yards away is fun even with a "lighter" bow

Offline Hawkeye1974

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 12:23:58 pm »
Thanks Jay,
Loving the site is there any info on African Elephant Bow?
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline Hotspur

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 08:55:42 pm »
Another Canadian here, Hamilton Ontario, I too would welcome the institution of a warbow society in North America.

I regularly shoot a 95 lb bow and just finished tillering a 105 lb from oregon yew, next project is 1/2 inch arrows instead of my relatively meagre 3/8s ones.

We have quite a large continent to cover but I believe interest in heavy bows is growing exponentially and will eventually yield shoots in many regions, that is my hope at least. 

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 05:21:08 pm »
I just thought of something ??? :
Since this is such a large continent with a spread out interest in warbows, how-a-bout there be a regional/chapter organizational setup to this society? (kinda like societies in college)

--Mark R.
Am fear nach glèidh na h-airm san t-sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n àm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb

Offline Jay

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 09:47:46 am »
A regional or chapter system would be great.

Do we need to brain storm a bit on a "mission" statment or goal for this organization.

Maybe write down some guidlines for the type of bows/arrows/and shooting.

Do we allow crossbows?

What type of insurance might be needed? Always have to CYA, especially if you are a land owner and allow an event on your dirt.

Cost?? lets keep it cheep.

These are only a few things that poped into my head this morning. Everyone keep adding there  cents and it will come together :)

Jay

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »
I can't wait...I'm in once I get up to shooting 80lbs comfortably. 

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 06:51:34 am »
Ok folks,
I am deeply sorry for the long delay in updates and progress on this endeavor. This foul year of 2011 has thrown me some major curveballs and Ive had to take life head on for awhile. Now that all that has passed it is time to refocus and get back on track!

Within the next few days I will be email Mark Stretton again as he has asked for me to provide them (EWBS) with some of our ideas of what we would like to see in the new AWS.
Such as...
-Possibility of regional societies
-Integration of our Canadian comrades
-International shoots
etc.

These are just a few possibilities. Please post any more ideas here or PM me if you feel it necessary.

Thank you very much for your Patience and understanding!
~Cody

Offline Ian.

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:59 pm »
Hi Dag

Just to let you know there is an EWBS shoot today until sunday that I am traveling to as I write this. I will update the comettee on how things are going, I will pass on any news over the weekend.

Ian
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 03:37:36 pm »
Thank you very much Ian!

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »
..Just to be slightly of topic since this is about the American Warbow society;

We are a group up here in Norway thinking about starting up something like a Norse Warbow Society or something.. We thought of a Norwegian Warbow society first, but then Norway is just about 5 mill people.. Including Sweeden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands all of a sudden makes a lot more sense. We might actually be more than 10 people active that way :)

I'll have to talk to some more people on the matter, but just be warned: We're after your records!  >:D

Offline Silent Bear

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 11:19:15 pm »
The American Warbow Society sounds like a great idea I enjoy making and shooting the english warbows but here in California there are very few of us.

Offline JCrossArchery

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 01:32:41 pm »
An American Warbow society sounds like a great idea,  Ive heard and seen quite an up tick in interest in War bows lately and I bet now would be a great time to launch something like this. You could count me in on an American War bow society.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 04:08:37 pm »
Its been awhile since my last warbow.  Im in NY state and interested in this... how do we obtain the info and such?

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 08:43:49 pm »
i havent made a war bow but this sounds really good....i should have made a few when i lived in oregon.....the out come sounds great with  the site....john

Offline imar

• DWS; Dutch Warbow Society
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 11:11:33 am »
Hi,
I am new to this forum but if anyone is interested in the Dutch Warbow Society and everything related, just ask.

Imar
DWS The Netherlands
Imar
DWS; Dutch Warbow Society