Author Topic: total noob question  (Read 804 times)

Offline doulosparachristos

total noob question
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:21 pm »
Ok, so i have been pretty successful at creating a few good looking potential bows, until i destroy them while tillering. The problem is coming when i have the limbs bending just the way i want then, when i try to take it another inch or so i bust it. Is there a certain amount of time you leave it on the tiller tree, or a relative number of times you bend it at a certain draw length before you can take it farther? Sorry for the very basic questions, and i greatly appreciate your advice ;)
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline Ifrit617

Re: total noob question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:52:26 pm »
I usually exercise my limbs about 25 times every time I remove wood... Some people do it more some less... but exercising gets the wood used to bending.

Offline Weylin

Re: total noob question
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:56:19 pm »
also, make sure you are never taking it past the target weight. Meaning, if you want a 50# pull at 28" then never pull harder than 50# while tillering, or ever, for that matter. so when you are just starting the tillering process that might only get you a few inches of bending. Not sure if that was your problem but it's a good thing to keep in mind nonetheless.