Author Topic: Primitive Archery Article in Wall Street Journal!!  (Read 4542 times)

Offline billy

Primitive Archery Article in Wall Street Journal!!
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:07:48 am »
You know you're really doing something when the Wall Street Journal writes an article about something as a seemingly "fringe hobby" like primitive archery.  Anyway, I found this article on their website, and I'm sure all ya'll would love to read it.  It's great that we are getting noticed by a prestigious newspaper like the Wall Street Journal.  What's next for our hobby?  World domination!!! 

Here's the link:   http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704810504576307192623476856.html?mod=WSJ_newsreel_ahed
Marietta, Georgia

Offline nathan elliot

Re: Primitive Archery Article in Wall Street Journal!!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 05:59:54 am »
A good article, nice find. Thanks for sharing.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:16:22 am »
We're devolving ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:44:07 am »
Interesting article, nice to be recognised.
I wonder if we should take exception to the statement "Hunters are increasingly devolving, favoring crude hand-wrought weapons made with ancient methods"? Merriam-Webster defines 'crude' as: " immature; inexpert in plan or execution; marked by the...gross...or by uncultivated...vulgarity".
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26:00 am »
   I'm in on the world domination thing.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:14:13 pm »
Interesting article, nice to be recognised.
I wonder if we should take exception to the statement "Hunters are increasingly devolving, favoring crude hand-wrought weapons made with ancient methods"? Merriam-Webster defines 'crude' as: " immature; inexpert in plan or execution; marked by the...gross...or by uncultivated...vulgarity".
Yeah there is always some inaccuracy in this sort of article, and I too bridled at the word 'crude' they aught to see som of the beauties that get made....if it was a UK arrticle there would be tired old 'Robin Hood' references.
There's no such thing as bad publicity? Over all it wasn't too bad.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:58:38 pm »
I too have devolved from my compound days having sold my last one about a month ago. The only one that still hangs in my garage is an older model Martin single cam bow that will be handed down to one of my nephews when they get big enough to use it. I started out as a compound hunter, cut my archery teeth on it, and killed a truckload of deer, squirrel, rabbits, and other critters with it so I don't mind giving it to a young fella who needs some game under his young belt before plunging him head first into traditional archery as I now enjoy it. Mainly because you need to develop a "Respect" for traditional archery before you can master it. There's no instant gratification that society seems to be so caught up in nowadays.

The transition or degression as it is took half a lifetime for me to finally sink my teeth into it, and I've given up the wheel and cables for a more simple style that suits my older mentality mindset and slower paced hunting style now. Although I got into trad archery for the simplicity of a bent stick and string, I have only devolved back to the iron age cause I still like my steel points. ;D
Afterall, how long ago was the steel age of trocar tipped spears used by the Trojans? That's still quite a ways back, yet not as far as stone points, but still many centuries none the less and that's what I feel confident using at my skill level. See my point? Pun intended.  ;)

The article was well written with the exception of just a couple parts that kinda made me cringe, but nothing I would consider offensive. When they used the word "Crude" I think it was only directed toward the weapons used and not the hunters themselves or us for that matter. Because the methods or hunting style used by the hunters is anything but crude. It takes years to develop the skill of stalking an animal and making the kill, a skill that some may never perfect. Yet no matter what weapon you have in your hands those skills of stalking game are still the same only difference is that when you choose to use what we like to use you just need to get a bit closer. That's the part that gets my blood pumping, cause I love getting as close to critters as possible!  8)

In reality that's the main connection to giving up the long range bow and picking up the short range weapon. I think alot (if not all)of that experience of getting close to game is lost when using a compound or a rifle. Don't get me wrong though, I love my guns but don't feel near the connection to nature as I do with my BBO I made myself in my hands.
At least that's how I feel about it.

Thanks for finding that article, it's nice to know that people are taking notice of what we do even if they don't understand the "Why" we do it.
You all know as well as I do that it's impossible to explain to someone who has never experienced it, what it feels like to put yourself in a position to take an animal at point blank range and fill your freezer with it for some of the best table fare a human can get.
There's just nothing else like that feeling of accomplishment. America would be a better place if everyone got to experience that a few times and just get their hands bloody for a change.  8)
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:29 am »
SEMO I agree, there is nothing like being "up close and personal" when bowhunting". A high powered rifle has its purpose and place, and a bow and arrow has its place. I take more exception with my wooden bow being called "crude" than with me being called "crude". Every tree and every stave is a new challenge, and to turn that stave into an agile, accurate, deadly weapon is as much an art form as it is a McScience.... JMO though.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 01:18:07 pm »
Me say...oooga booga...me like :D

Now I just gotta get rid of this dang electronic thing im typing on :D

HatchA

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:25:45 pm »

Now I just gotta get rid of this dang electronic thing im typing on :D

Can you see smoke clouds from Ireland over there...?   ;D ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:02:05 pm »
Yes.yes I can from all the way across the big pond. I wondered what that was. But if I was able to see smoke then I don't think you destroyed it in a primitive way with a hammerstone and more like an atomic nuclear bomb. :D

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 05:43:29 pm »
Thanks again to Hawk & his wife Stacey for sharing they're lifestyle with the world !!
I cant think of any better folks for representing us than them !!
keep up the good work Stacey !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »
SEMO I agree, there is nothing like being "up close and personal" when bowhunting". A high powered rifle has its purpose and place, and a bow and arrow has its place. I take more exception with my wooden bow being called "crude" than with me being called "crude". Every tree and every stave is a new challenge, and to turn that stave into an agile, accurate, deadly weapon is as much an art form as it is a McScience.... JMO though.
Yep me too. If anybody called one of my bows crude I would be most offended. If they only knew how much time and work goes into one of our bows they would pick a better term to use. Then again, you have to remember who we are talking about here. People who have never put a sharp stick in anything before in their life and the closest they've ever come to hunting was chasing down a Big Mac at the drive through window. :D

Making a killing machine out of what once was a 30 ft. tall hateful tangled mess of hooked dagger like dragon thorns that fights you every step of the way is not a delicate task, nor is it for a white collar shirt that sits behind a computer pecking out articles that are interesting to read.
I think the end result justifies the pain we go through to create something that's as original as a snowflake cause there are no two just alike and that's reward enough for me. Cause I didn't get into this for recognition or praise from anyone, it's way too personal to expect anything in return from anyone else.

Kinda like the saying goes.........."If I have to explain it, then you would't understand it"  ;)

On the other hand it is nice that the rest of the world does seem to find something unique in what we do, so that's a plus and I can learn to overlook the incorrect terminology I guess.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline smoke

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 11:15:46 am »
Overall a pretty good article.  I subscribe to the WSJ and am a little mad at myself for missing it when it came out.