Author Topic: broadheads  (Read 2540 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
broadheads
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:39:51 pm »
Ok I know this is not very primative but i would like to know where to find information pertaining to longbow arrow's and the use of mechanical broadheads and the newer forms of the cut on contact heads i.e. from rage and monotecs thing like that. any help would be useful to me.
doc

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: broadheads
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:00 pm »
Tradgang. com, or google Rage and Monotec ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jturkey

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:54:00 pm »
i've looked both up but could not find any information on them and long bows/ recurves or selfbows. even called both companies and have not been able to get a response from either. those were just a couple of the tips i was looking at and can not find it on TG either must not know where to look  but have not found it yet.
but thank you mullet!
doc

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:45:30 am »
I might be missunderstanding . I know you can put about any mechanical on cane shaft. Or if you're using carbon they would screw right in. Now weather or not they need more kenetic energy, I don't know. I have some Zewikis (sp?) and they are cut on contact.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline jturkey

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:43 am »
wasn't sure if the slower speeds would cause problems with the mechanical heads due to some of them being developed for the faster shooting cheater bows with training wheels on them.and was not sure if the newer cut on contact had to have a certain amount of energy but the more i talked it over with my uncle i am pretty sure any of the cut on contact tips should be fine. so i guess i will see what i can find out online
doc

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:39:43 pm »
I'm trying out the two blade Land Sharks right now and think they will do well. I don't think you will have the speed for the mechanical broadheads out of a longbow or recurve.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »
Mechanical things fail.  Period.  Every moving part doubles the chances of failure.  For the life of me I cannot understand why companies continue to pour huge money into designing the next mechanical broadhead.  Or maybe all that money is going to focus groups coming up with the next name...like "Rage".  Ooh, scarey.

And speaking of Rage broadheads, Dr. Ashby's research on broadhead penetration and lethality lists 100% failure rate of the Rage broadhead.  Never saw a better recommendation for a simple two blade that is sharpened and honed properly. 

Sorry if I come off a little harsh. If you want to puch holes in targets, use anything your heart desires.  But in a hunting scenario when an animal's life is at stake, use only what is proven to humanely kill with the lowest rate of failure.  Just like the old adage that "most fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen", these new mechanicals seem to be marketed to the guy that wants the equipment to make up for his lack of confidence. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:46:09 pm »
I agree, JW. I was being polite.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:02:24 pm »
Longbows and recurves don't have the speed necessary to open mechanicals and even if they did open you would waste valuable penetration on them opening and just end up with a wounded lost animal. Don't even consider using mechanical heads with traditonal equipment, that's like using a jitterbug on a fly rod.........ain't gonna work.  ::)

One other thing, if you go over to trad gang asking about mechanical broadheads they will delete your post.

Try ArcheryTalk.com
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32