Author Topic: Who has Remington Model 700s?  (Read 5061 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Who has Remington Model 700s?
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:36:21 am »
Well, after i find a truck for myself, i wanna buy another toy of some sort. Thought about smoke poles, bows, ARs, ect, but im really likeing the looks of the 700s. Dont realy know why i havnt decided i must own one before. I like the varmit rifle version in 308, but iv only just started looking at them. Supposedly most all of them will shoot .5-.75 MOA, which is probably better than im actually capable of, but it looks like it would be a blast! If you have one and have any cool storys or suggestions or a favorite style ect, lets hear it!!!
lets just shoot it

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Who has Remington Model 700s?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:46:39 pm »
In a moment of weakness I purchased a .243 Rem 700 with an old 3x9 Weaver scope.  I paid $240 for it because the bolt kept falling out the back and the trigger wouldn't work.  The scope was busted at the 4 power level and was really out of focus.  Since the stock looked pristine and the barrel showed no rust I took a chance.

I tossed the scope and rings, bought a Leupold 2x7 and their rings.  Dropped the trigger mechanism and bolt assembly in a can of kerosene and let 'er soak a week.  Ran a few patches thru the bore and it was glossy and pure. 

When I cleaned up the trigger mechanism and bolt everything worked fine except the little shell kicker on the face of the bolt.  A guy at H.S. Precision (they build sniper rifles) pulled the bolt apart and cleaned out the last of the varnished gun oil.  Once it was assembled it shot incredible groups.  Poor thing hadn't been handled since 1972 and all the oil had turned to varnish. A couple minutes rubbing TruOil in the stock made 'er really shine.

I had a brand new rifle for less than $400 total.  The guy at Cabelas (where I bought it) swore it had never been shot when I brought it back to show them. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:59:23 pm »
I've got a 700 varmit in 22-250 with a 6.5 -20 power Luepold.  The better you can see it the better you can hit it!!. 

Have shot prairie dogs in S.Dakota and lots of coyote in Il..  When I was reloading my own shells it was really getting fine tuned!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:00:42 am »
They are excellent guns (this coming from a winchester man). If you check out some of the top custom gunsmiths they use a remington actions.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01:45 am »
That's a great set-up for popdogs!  And that 22-250 sure makes 'em pop!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:22:07 am »
To each his own...But for the cost of a Remington rifle alone I would buy a Savage and a scope, get a better trigger and very likely a lot better accuracy. I've had 'em all and after buying a few Savages will never look back.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:28:41 am »
You couldn't make me to say anything against those Savage Accu-Triggers, I've shot 'em and thought they were a better rifle than anything twice it's price. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 02:33:30 am »
Well you guys can keep your Savage Rifles. If you want to make them shoot more accurate than my model 700 you better get real busy real fast.
I own some other guns, but I bought model 700 rifles for when it really counts. Accuracy is only one part of the issue, durability and reliability are huge issues also. I have a 7mm STW for shooting out to 1200 yards, a 270, 25-06, 22-250, and 223 in model 700. You just cant go wrong with the model 700.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Stretch

• I'm a custom furniture maker/wannabe bowyer.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 02:41:37 am »
The one thing you need to be aware of is that older Remington 700's have a problem with the safety/trigger mechanism.  I think the problem is that the safety can get stuck and the gun goes off when someone tries to open the bolt. Do a google search on it before you buy one, especially if you're buying used. 
Mark
Lindale, TX

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 02:46:57 am »
Traded my 300 win Mag BDL for a Weatherby 300 Win Mag...and was never happier....jmo
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 03:26:32 am »
I like the older 700's but not the newer ones.  I just had a friend buy a Sendaro in .300 WSM The first one wouldn't group better than 3" with ANYTHING. The second one...the bolt face had a big hump on it and the head space was screwed up...it wouldn't group either. He went ahead and got a Savage and is happy now. I've owned several Rem. rifles. Some shot great and others not so. EVERY Savage I own will lay 'em inside 1/2" at a hundred with handloads. My Savage 12FVSS .308 will consistantly put 3 shots under 1/2" and if I hold my mouth right...well under 1/4"
 IMO, remingtons just ain't as good as they used to be.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:02 am »
i've shot 700's all my life and it's hard to beat.  i read about the safety issues but have NEVER had any problems.  i have a sendero 7mm mag and with my custom loads it shoots a .260" @ 100 yards.  it holds a 3" @ 500 yards.  i also have a couple model 7 remingtons in 7mm-08.  this is definitely a gun to fall in love with, it's light, accurate, and packs a heck of a punch.  recoil is so light you can almost shoot it off your nose.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:33:46 pm »
My dad has a 700 bdl 270 cal and for the past 40 years it's been a great rifle
Me I bought a ruger #1 7mm winmag and have been very pleased

As for savages I don't know much about them iv only shot one and the scope that came on it was crap it wasn't even rated for the caliber of the gun so everytime you shot it would nock the cross hairs off a little I bet if he put a better scope on it it would shoot fine Good luck amigo it's really up to you and what you want to carry there are may great options out there to use it just how fancy do you want to go anything reliable is going to be a little pricy unless you hit the pawn shops or estate  sales  ttyl

Sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Stoker

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 02:00:58 pm »
Ruger M77 7mm RemMag will shoot dimes at a 100yds. I have done a lot of work on it with loading and such.It's 30th birthday next month. Savage 340 22 hornet that thing always was a tack driver. A rifle is like a child some are good out of the gate some need extra attention and patience.Talk to some fellas at the gun range on how to shoot better .I learned a lot from seasoned shooters.
Happy shooting
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline wildwills

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »
i have a Remington Model 700 BDL in 30.06 Springfield from my late father with Redfield Jr. mounts and a 6.5 x 24 scope.  Originally had a Leupold 2.5 x 7, that I now have on my Savage Model 110E in 30.06 Springfield with Weaver mounts.
Mike Wills
Bugs Bunny: Why, Crusher! It's good to see you.
The Crusher: Yeah, well, I was just passing by... Dyuh... just passing by...