Author Topic: Osage preperation question  (Read 6814 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Osage preperation question
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
I hear you OO, but I've processed a LOT of osage and never lost one that way (knocking furiously on wood).  It wouldn't bother me that much if I did.  It's just wood.  Borers have really infested the untreated wood I first cut down here.  Still, I've never not made a bow from even those staves.   I have bows with full borer holes in them and they work just fine.  Osage is TOUGH, don't think I'd try that with any other wood.  If I were trying to sell the bows or the staves it'd be different.  I've brought wood home that was too crooked for sure.  My philosophy has always been to bring home everything I think might make a bow.   Doesn't bother me at all to cut it into fireplace lengths if it doesn't.  Like I said, it's just wood.

The crown on the wood makes removing sapwood with a band saw almost impossible BowJ.  Green osage is easier to work with a draw knife but wants to tear out at knots.  Always stop a ring above the one you want to be the bow's back and seal.  I personally stop as soon as I get into a solid sapwood ring and seal.  I've gotten some checking even after sealing and you'll have more time to catch it and reseal it you have some wood between you and the heartwood.  It also lets you use the top heartwood ring.  JMO

George
St Paul, TX

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 08:08:17 pm »
Thanks for the information George, I will save the band saw for cutting the profiles.
Priceless information you have given about stopping a ring prior to the ring that will be the back and sealing to cure.
Also I am in North Texas, I was wondering, after I prep the staves, How long should I let Osage cure before I try to make a bow?
The only way I can think to check is to weigh it, I do not have a means to measure the moisture content.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 10:10:51 pm »
I have only had it happen to me that one time, but that was enough.  I cut most of my osage in creek bottoms and I don't have any equipment to haul them out with so I end up carrying them out.  Luckily, I'm built for it, 5'6" and 230 lbs.  I cut that log in summer and it was all I could do to get it up to a road.  So when I cut a tree now, sitting in the garage in front of a big fan while drawknifing staves isn't that bad.  Plus it saves a little on storage space and is cleaner.  I mark the center line and use the bandsaw to take them down to 2"x2"x70".  It's also nice when I am ready to build a bow.  If I have a certain type of bow in mind, it's easier to pick through finished staves to find the right piece.  But hey, to each his own.  What works for me might not work for anybody else.  Hey Gstoneberg, with the bows that you make out of those crooked, twisted staves, I'd say keep doing what you are doing.  It seems to work for you :)

Hey Bowjunkie, I tried using the bandsaw to take off the bark and sapwood on the last tree that I cut.  It worked, but when you go to chase a ring, you might have to go down a few extra rings if you get a little deep with the saw.  I might try it again on straight, flat backed staves. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 11:17:21 pm »
All my first yeller wood staves came with the bark and sapwood still on them.  I wonder what those guys did to their wood becuase I never saw a borer hole in any of them.  Maybe I wasted my luck on those staves, maybe I shoulda been buying lottery tickets!   :-\
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 11:50:03 pm »
All my first yeller wood staves came with the bark and sapwood still on them.  I wonder what those guys did to their wood becuase I never saw a borer hole in any of them.  Maybe I wasted my luck on those staves, maybe I shoulda been buying lottery tickets!   :-\

LMAO  ;D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline R H Clark

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 11:55:09 pm »
I don't have near the experience of you guys with Osage.I have however learned to use a good machete by working a lot of hickory down with one.

When removing the sap wood on Osage I like to use the machete first.I start about 10" from one end and work my way up the stave.With a little practice every whack will take off a 10" chip nearly all the way to the heart wood.It only takes a few minutes to machete a stave.Then I can use the draw knife a lot easier and faster to finish cleaning all the sap wood off.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:43 am »
   I no longer hord staves like I use to. Now when
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 12:50:49 am »
  I no longer hord staves like I use to. Now when ever I find one I tuck it away and let it grow untill I need it. With osage I'll useally take all bark and sap wood off. CUT IT  DOWN to simi bow form seal the bow and add some deflex with saw horses and cinder blocks. as long as you leave it a little heavy osage won't warp. With osage I'll leave it for at least 2 years.
    I use to just cut seal the ends and spray with lowes pestisides I 've used all kinds.  Respray every month or so a couple times. Never had a problem. Now I'll do my hickory and other white woods the same way but leave the bark on. Again spray it down every couple or few months or vwhen ever I'm over at the barn. Never had a problem. I put reflex in all my staves with blocks or rachet strape it from the floor on (SIMI) bow forms I've left heavy. When a couple cinder blocks won't do it This also helps with swisting on all woods.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 01:18:35 am »
Yea OO, I wasn't saying what you're doing isn't the right way, it surely works and works well too I would think.  I'm just a procrastinator so I put off what I can.  Around here the land is flat and usually dry enough to get right to the tree with a pickup or trailer.  Sadly, we have borers terrible.  Up north I never treated the bark, never removed it, and never saw a borer.  Life was easier ...  Anyway, each of us that's been doing it awhile have a method that works.  None of them are wrong.  Some are better than the way I do it for sure.  It's good to hear the different approaches.  Gives us  ideas on how to streamline the process.  Good dialogue.

I've gotten so I run my draw knife back against the rings and remove as much of the sapwood as I can in one pass.  It works better with seasoned wood than green, the wet wood likes to tear and doesn't split along the rings as well.

Where are you in north Texas BowJunkie?  How far from Dallas?  Maybe we can meet up.  Not surprised that you have wood access, it's a thorny weed down here  (like half of the rest of the vegetation).  The longer you let a stave season, the better it works.  You can work a green stave down to near bow dimensions, seal the back and let it season that way.  But, if you're close enough to Dallas, just drive over and you can have any stave in my stack you want.  A word of warning, my staves are known to be a touch crooked. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 01:28:59 am »
George has a thing for staves that would work as fenceposts...the type you can screw into the ground!

>:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 12:38:16 pm »
Also. If I do need to remove a lot of sap wood and bark, I could always split out the staves,
then use the band saw to cut till I hit yellow, and then chase a ring with the draw knife,
then reseal the backs and ends once each stave is roughed out.???????????
Does this sound O.K. to you guys????
Yes you could if you have a band saw that's big enough. My dinky little 10" Craftsman won't hardly make it through a chunk of 2x4 much less a raw osage stave. LOL
Believe it or not, when it's green the sapwood comes off fairly easy. It's still alot of work, but much easier to get it off while still green and fresh than to wait till the sapwood dried hard like armor and have to chisel it off with a wood chisel.  :o

"I have osage staves strapped to my upright posts in my pole barn/garage. "

Now why didn't I ever think of that??  ???
Nice tip Osage Outlaw!  ;)
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 12:09:14 am »
George I actually live just Northeast of downtown Fort Worth. Maybe we can schedule a meet date sometime.
I purchased a Riobi band saw from home depot a few months back and profiled out a couple of staves.
Seems to work just fine on hickory, mulberry and hackberry.

Johnny
in Texas

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 12:46:14 am »
George I actually live just Northeast of downtown Fort Worth. Maybe we can schedule a meet date sometime.
I purchased a Riobi band saw from home depot a few months back and profiled out a couple of staves.
Seems to work just fine on hickory, mulberry and hackberry.

Great, I already have 1 guy from FW that drives over every other week or so and works on a bow in my shop.  Are you busy next weekend?  I'm hosting a get together out at my deer lease to meet some PA folk, make/shoot bows, flint knapp (man do I need help there) and perhaps chase some hogs.   There may only be 3 or 4 of us, but it'll be fun.  Here's the thread: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25825.0.html  You're sure welcome to come.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:54 am »
George, if I didn't live so far away I'd be all over that with tent and bow in hand! Sounds like a blast even if it is 100 freaking degrees outside.  :D 8)

Yall gonna have a rattle snake roundup or copper head roundup? That's what would really trip my trigger next to stickin a pork chop.

I heard that hogs aren't any good to eat in the summer down there, any truth to that? My lil bro said they get some kinda parasite in their blood or somethin.???
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 02:47:02 am »
You'd be welcome for sure.  Looks like we're gonna be in the mid to high 90s for the next week.  The lease is up on the plateau and normally 4-5 degrees warmer than Dallas.  O boy.  We should have rattlers galore, but I've only seen a few out there.  Haven't seen a copperhead there, but did further east.  Also saw cottonmouths east of here.  If we see any rattlers  we'll surely be trying to relieve them of their skin, and invite them to dinner.  ;)  Last year I hunted every month of the year and ate everything I shot.  It is painful to take care of the meat in the heat, but if you get them on ice quick they taste fine.  I've not heard of that parasite.

George
St Paul, TX