Author Topic: question for rich!  (Read 1375 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
question for rich!
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:41:34 pm »
rich what style of bows did the choctow indians use i have seen some of your bows and you history lessons on here and would love to make a short bow of the style of the choctow indians for a decrative purpose only probaly will never be shot any sugetions?
doc

Offline half eye

Re: question for rich!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:31:19 pm »
jturkey,
      The Choctaw were of the Muskogee language group and closely allied with the  Muskogee (Creek) and I believe that groups of both were part of the Seminole nation later on. I sent photograps of two Creek bows to Ken 75....my computer harddrive died so I lost my pictures....but will see if ken will post those up for you. I did locate some bandoliers/ sashes for you to study the design patterns though. those are attached here.
     Sorry about the bow pics, but at least they aint totally lost,eh
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 01:51:35 am »
jturkey
    Here are three bows that are ascribed to the Seminole...these look pretty much like the pics that I sent to ken of the Creek bows....it looks to me that this general style is pretty accurate,so maybe these will help some as well. These are from the Peabody Museum.
rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:33:22 pm »
sorry for the delay heres the creek bows

Offline jturkey

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »
thanks for the pictures what is the belly on these bows like  are they flat rectangluar or round(d-style) the pictures make me think they are flat bell am i seeing it right?
doc

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »
I believe the bow's would be basically rectangular but with low crowned backs and belly's......so yes I believe they had basically flat backs and belly's.
rich

Offline jturkey

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 06:42:10 pm »
thanks rich and ken the pictures help alot i'll post picture fater i get it made it is for a cioousin of mine and she wanted one to put on the wall for looks only and it will never be strung and thanks for the show of the bandoliers they will come in handy for the design as well!
doc