Author Topic: Ambush bow  (Read 16997 times)

Roger

Re: Ambush bow
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 08:25:01 pm »
Great lookin tiller Steve...I bet you fare well with that one... ;)

R

jamie

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 08:42:05 pm »
excellent . i just wish i understood the whole mass thingy.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 08:46:51 pm »
 Iam with jamie, wish I understood also ! ???..........bob

Offline jpitts

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 08:52:03 pm »
Beautiful bow Steve.....wow
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 09:46:48 pm »
Ok I'm suitibly humbled, Very nice
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 10:19:27 pm »
Thanks for posting it Steve. That is an incredible bow. I like the tiller.  Thanks for explaining the stiff tip thing. I am going to build a shorty and the stiff limb concept should stop it from stacking. I like the thick boo concept too.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

marvin

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 11:28:39 pm »
Jamie,  Kowechobe and others

Steve's focus on mass is actually pretty simple. Most everyone already does it intuitively but Steve has developed a formula to give more predictable and consistent results. He's removed a lot of the guess work.

The idea is to design and tiller the bow such that there is just the right amount of mass for the intended draw weight. If the limb is not wide or long enough then the bow will be "underbuilt" and start to take excessive set. If the limbs are too wide or long then the bow is overbuilt thus wasting energy moving the limbs instead of the arrow. Balance. It's actually nothing new per say just a refined and quantified way of applying a principle we have already learned.

I'm oversimplifying of course and if I'm off base then I'm sure Steve will come along and explain it better.

Steve, I know you've posted this several times but if you don't mind could you post your formula here again and then apply it to your bow that you've posted on this thread as an example. Walk us through it. How you not only use the formula but how you approach tillering the bow to reach or meet the mass goal that the formula predicts.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:32:20 am by marvin »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 11:59:40 pm »
Do you figure, ahead of time, the mass weight of a preconceived bow or do you weigh the bow afterwards to see if you built it where it should be?  :-\
 I'm like Jamie and Bob. ???  its a bit over my head...but I willing to listen and learn.  ;)  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 12:33:01 am »
I think you got a winner Steve. I cant think of what I'd do different having tinkered with that ratio and style a bit. The only aspect will be the humidity/heat where the contest will be judged is much higher than what your bow has been tillered in. but you are over in the poundage so it shouldn't be an issue. The thicker boo backing is the ticket on the heavier bows. Oh one more thing..just say tell the judges its "stained" osage ;) ;D, your name is Dave, and you are from Mississippi! :D

Rich-a little humor is good ( and that is very little)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 12:55:25 am »
Thats awesome Steve! I didnt know you could leave boo that thick,I cant quite wrap my mind around that :D, but obviously it works!....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Jbell

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 01:51:12 am »
Simply awesome Steve. Wow look at that unbraced profile that is very impressive. How wide are the limbs?

We could go on and on about the great combination of IPE and bamboo but this bow is all about the man behind the bow. Way to take it to the limit!
Justin Blunt

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 03:09:55 am »
Thanks for all the great response, I will start another thread on my mass project. Steve

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 04:24:04 am »
If that bow doesn't get recognition from the contest judges, than something is very wrong.

I guess it's simple Marvin, but I, like others can't even start to understand how it works ::) ::)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline heavybow

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 05:11:32 am »
Very nice looking bow steve. marlon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 06:26:56 am »
Very nice Steve,Tiller looks great and the bow is a beaut !!! :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good