Author Topic: A tale of two string jigs  (Read 3698 times)

Offline swamp monkey

A tale of two string jigs
« on: May 30, 2011, 07:35:02 pm »
Flemish string jigs are not that hard to find designs for online.  I have posted my adaptation for one below and pics of it.  However, I do not always make Flemish strings.  I teach a beginning blow making class where I teach bowyers how to make a string they can use to shoot with and to use during tillering.  It is an overbuilt string that will give no worries.  The string is also great because it will work on any bow no matter how long or short.  If extra string exists you trim it off.  Easy.

I call this a full twist string because after making the loop I do reverse twist all the way down and tie it off with an overhand knot.  They are brainless to make but can take roughly 15-20 minutes.  I make them while watching movies, camping or coaching tillering.  I really like these strings.  I was taught to make these by a bow maker in southern Illinois and really like them.  However, he never taught how he got his diacron measured out.  With some experimentation I found that you loose 1/3 of your string length to the twist and was able to make a string jig that accommodates for that.  This is the cedar board pictured below.  If you need an explanation on anything please let me know.  The knot I tie on the lower limb is pretty simple but any knot used by the Native Americans will do.

On the Flemish jig I have the peg holes drilled to make a string appropriate for the size bow marked by the peg.  Just follow one rule.  start the loops seven inches from the end of the string bundle.  There are plenty of places to find descriptions for how to use such a jig and make a string but if you need my effort on that just holler. 

BTW I like using the clothes pin to hold the string.  I simply glue that in place and go to town. 

Happy string making!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: A tale of two string jigs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 08:11:48 pm »
Sweet jigs.  I have one question though.  On the strings that you reverse twist the entire length, do you find that they stretch a lot more initially?  I think I have to make a couple like that to use for tillering strings. :)

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:45:19 pm »
Sweet jigs.  I have one question though.  On the strings that you reverse twist the entire length, do you find that they stretch a lot more initially?  I think I have to make a couple like that to use for tillering strings. :)

Minimal string stretch.  Once the bow is shot in the stretch is mainly done.  I have made artificial sinew strings that never seem to stop stretching but Diacron stretches little and gets it out of way early. 

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »
Good to know.  I just remember reading somewhere that the more twist there is in the string, the higher the potential to stretch.  I suppose for use on a tillering string with a bowyer knot on one end, it wouldn't really matter either way.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:12:12 am »
Now that you mention tillering I will bet that is where most of the stretching occurs.  I never thought about it, but once you said that I expect that explains why I see little stretching.  It is all done in the tillering phase, where my attention is on the wood.  fascinating. 

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 07:06:37 pm »
I use a 6' length of Ash and hammer nails in at whatever distances I need to, depending on string length required.  Nock to nock plus 20", divided by 2 and hammer a nail ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 04:54:42 pm »
After I make a string I'll hook the loop over a nail, pull the string tight and vigerously rub it with wax then with a small piece of leather. This will heat up the string(and wax), help the wax to penetrate and will pre-stretch the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC