Author Topic: Using Sinew?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Using Sinew?
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:38:51 pm »
 I just finished tillering a flatbow (found a way so my knee don't hurt) and it came in at 40# at 26" I would like to sinew it and was wondering how much I need.
 The bow is 55" ttt  handle 1 1/4 wide 4"  1 1/2 fades tapering to 2" parallel to 8" from tips and tapering t0 3/4" with 1/4" pin knocks. Thanks for the help
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Using Sinew?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 03:30:06 pm »
How many layers are you planning on putting down?  I always end up using a lot more than I think I will when sinewing a bow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 03:54:21 pm »
"How many layers are you planning on putting down?  I always end up using a lot more than I think I will when sinewing a bow."

Same here. I'd get 10 to 15 tendons worth if ya want at least 2 layers. An ya may need more. Depends if ya use cow or deer though. Cow tendons usually give more sinew, so ya may need less cow tendons then deer. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:10:14 pm »
What type of wood is it. Were you planning on sinewing from the start or because you came in under weight?

Its better to sinew a bow after an even floor tiller and before you tiller it out and compress the belly wood.I know Cu's I learned the hard way. Next time I sinew it will be before I finish tiller it out.  You could heat treat it and then sinew. IMHO it wouldn't be a worthy candidate. But to each his own and do what you want cus its yours.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:47:39 pm »
What type of wood is it. Were you planning on sinewing from the start or because you came in under weight?

Its better to sinew a bow after an even floor tiller and before you tiller it out and compress the belly wood.I know Cu's I learned the hard way. Next time I sinew it will be before I finish tiller it out.  You could heat treat it and then sinew. IMHO it wouldn't be a worthy candidate. But to each his own and do what you want cus its yours.

blackhawk....I didn't come in under weight. I usually try to get between 40-50# I don't sell mine, just collect and give away. It was just a passing thought and if I'm wasting sinew then i won't do it. If not. Then what would be the advantages or dissadvantages?
The wood is White Oak.
I have maybe 30 deer leg tendons

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:00:04 pm »
The advantages are it will protect the back and make a longer lasting bow. But you can do that with easier to use materials. I hope I can explain this clear enough and if not someone can help me out or correct me. The disadvantage is that your bow took set and the wood is compressed already and you wouldn't have gained as much reflex in your finished profile as if you had put the sinew on before it took set. I know most who sinew put it on before. I've also seen guys do it after tillering out but after doing this myself I wont do it again. Hopefully some more sage advice will chime in and offer there thoughts on this.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:14:18 pm »
 That makes since. I'll just try it on the next one ;) Gonna start a HBH bend thru the handle.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:58:35 pm »
Wait- how much set did it take?

Any bow with less than 2" of set can be a candidate for sinew. I've started tillering my bows part way, about 24" or so, just as they're starting to take a little set (set on the scale, not visual). I then temper and sinew.

If the bow has taken a lot of set then the belly is going to come apart. However small amounts of set can be dealt with and shouldn't be a problem unless you're looking to really reflex the little thing.

As for how much, 6-12 tendons should be fine for a nice thin backing. Heavy backings are best for really boosting weight, and this ones can be more than enough to help improve unbraced profile.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:27:19 am »
 Kegan... It took 1" of visual set. I'm really wanting to try my first try at sinew backing, but don't want to mess this one up. Maybe it would help if I posted a pic.
 Will it throw the tiller off?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 12:39:36 am »
30 deer tendons should be plenty for a few courses of sinew. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:20:47 am »
Just a reminder to ya that set and string follow are two different things. You can have one inch of follow,but if you started with two inches of reflex before tillering,then you have three inches of set. 

And yes you will have to retiller some.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 11:20:58 am »
  I missunderstood ya blackhawk. It's 1" I started with a 1/4 sawn board. No reflex or deflex in it, and it has no string follow. I reckon, since it's sanded and ready of the finishing, I'll just finish it out. Besides if I had to ask this many questions of weather or not to sinew it, it might be a good idea to go to the next one. 8)

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »
That's good thinking as a sinewed bow "should be planned" from the start IMHO no matter what your methods, especially if you've never done it before and haven't really fully investigated all the details in sinew backing. Hey,im still learning too,we all are.  ;)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 05:28:10 pm »
 Dont hink the sinew would have helped this. 10 shots and a sore jaw can you say &(%&

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 05:42:51 pm »
 :o  :o  :'(   ouch. Hope your ok man.  ???what do you think caused the failure?....who knows if sinew would've saved that or not.