Author Topic: Selfbow  (Read 1414 times)

Offline del

Selfbow
« on: May 27, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
I have just acquired a selfbow and I really like it.  The problem I am having is the fletching on the arrow is wearing my hand out!  Is it acceptable to put an arrow rest on a selfbow?  I was thinking about a piece of deer antler glued to the side of the bow.  Sorry for my ignorance of these things.  Thanks for any advice.  <>< del
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:55:21 am by del »
Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
Psalm 46:10

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 10:38:10 am »
I put a rest on most of mine,if not wrap the front of the fletching with sinew/dental floss or fine thread.That will also take care of the problem. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:42:03 am »
Also..you can wear a thin glove of leather or fleece. Its what I do cus im a knuckle head shooter :D

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:22 am »
Pappy's advice is good.  You may want to see a "floppy" rest also, as another type, basically just a folded piece of leather to rest the arrow on. 
1’—>1’

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:57:21 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,20462.0.html   just click on the "ferret's floppy. pdf" under the writing and it should come up. I have used it and really like it.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »
On the LW I said you should skive the leading edges of the fletching. I wrap the fletching too. I didn't mention that you can also wrap that leading edge with tread art. sinew, etc...set in glue. My present selfie has no arrest and feathers do not cut my hand. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 04:53:26 pm »
Try to put your nocking point on the string about 1/8" to 1/4" higher. That should solve the problem, without any need of an arrowrest.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 08:15:12 pm »
Del? Wot... you're Del ? and your not a cat? what's that about?  ;)
Del (the cat)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.