Author Topic: Anybody heat-treat / bend ERC?  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Anybody heat-treat / bend ERC?
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:21:56 am »
Hi all,

I've been working with ERC lately, and loving it.  But before I do another trial and error adventure, I thought I'd ask. 

Does anybody have ERC advice for:  Bending in reflex?  Recurving the tips?  Steam or dry heat?  Heat treating the belly?

Thanks for any wisdom,

-Tom

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anybody heat-treat / bend ERC?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:29:45 pm »
Tom, I also am interested in the answer you get. I have plans for a short, bend through the handle, west coast style, sinew backed bow with recurved tips. ERC is my bow wood choice.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:39:18 pm »
sapwood seems to bend quite easily.
heartwood, not so much. I had trouble bending the tips on an ERC recurve that I broke a while back. boiled the tips for 45 minutes (each) - one bent ok, the other cracked on the belly when I put it in my jig.
still want to make a sinew backed ERC recurve but have considered splicing in recurves much like a composite [horn, wood, sinew] bow. that's halfway down my list of bows to make..  ;)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:52:48 pm by persimmon »
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 10:15:05 am »
Ive reflexed one piece with dry heat and it worked fine at the time but the bow eventually exploded many shots later, I'm not sure I would use dry heat on soft woods like erc again..... :P
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 02:45:30 pm »
It's hard to dry heat bend the heartwood. Can be done but you really have to sock the heat to it.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 02:53:26 pm »
Would a kerfed and spined recurve be more appropriate for ERC and similar woods?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC