Author Topic: osage molly warbow (now with pictures)  (Read 16282 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
osage molly warbow (now with pictures)
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:25 pm »
im going to start another build along, its going to be a osage molly warbow, hoping for 150@32 but will accept any heavy weight, and everyone following my white ash build along, don't worry, i haven't given up on it, im just waiting on the fast flight to come in the mail which should be in the next few days, then ill take a few week break to finish the white ash, and then, get back to work on this new one, the stave is around 74-76ish, and has almost 0 degrees of propeller twist to be steamed out. ill hopefully have some picture up soon, im planning on have the tips, or levers(whatever they are called on a molly) be about 18inches, bend through the handle, with the handle being 1 1/2by 1/2
thanks for following
noel
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:27:58 pm by fishfinder401 »
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline CraigMBeckett

Re: osage molly warbow
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:43:49 pm »
Hi Noel,

Why not aim for the same weight (and possibly draw length ?????) as your ash bow, then you can perform a comparison of their performance. I would also suggest that the "molly" would be a heavy bow not a warbow, I am unaware of their being any records of the style being used specifically for war.

If you do such tests the results would be very interesting.

Best of luck with the endeavour.

Craig.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:53:22 pm »
by the look of it, they will be comparable weights and lengths so i will see how they preform in comparison to each other, also by warbow, i meant a bow of "warbow" weights, it already looks impressive to me, i thined the tips out to make the levers or whatever they are called, and im giddy with anticipation ;D
thanks
noel

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:24 pm »
Please post photos as you go, am very interested in seeing the progression.

What wood are you using?

Craig.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:10 pm »
i will, and the wood is osage orange, compliments of gstoneberg ;D
noel
PS: i was just watching the news, please everyone pray for those in Oklahoma and Texas, i heard of 5 tornadoes near Oklahoma city on the ground  at once

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:12:28 pm »
i will, and the wood is osage orange, compliments of gstoneberg ;D
noel
PS: i was just watching the news, please everyone pray for those in Oklahoma and Texas, i heard of 5 tornadoes near Oklahoma city on the ground  at once

It seems to be a very bad tornado season for you folks in the USA, my thoughts and hopes for safety go with those affected by the storms.

Craig.

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:44:06 am »
-There are not evidence this design has been used for war, but I'm sure they used it for war. I doubt they needed the same draw weight as the warbows of later times, as they didn't have to go through that same protective armour.
But definition of a warbow.. -A bow meant for war, or just a bow heavy enough to penetrate armour, or does it also have to have one specific design..?

Offline Inuumarue

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 01:00:04 pm »
Lets see some photos!!! lol or else I'm going to think you're making up stories Noel!

Craig, its been pretty rough for some people, something like 5-6 times the average number in April last I heard.

Adam

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 02:45:34 pm »
Hey Noel, sure hope that osage makes a good bow for you.  I'd like to see pictures too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 05:50:00 pm »
ok, ill defiantly get some pictures up today, i finally got my fast flight in so more progress on the white ash warbow will come very soon
noel
PS: by warbow, i , mean a bow of the strength typically associated with warbows, not the design

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:40:02 pm »
Im watching  >:Dhahahahahaaaaaahe ;D Look forward to seeing both build allongs, you are a better man than me I have thought about doing a build allong but never take the time for pictures as I go. ;D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 04:26:52 am »
-There are not evidence this design has been used for war, but I'm sure they used it for war. I doubt they needed the same draw weight as the warbows of later times, as they didn't have to go through that same protective armour.
But definition of a warbow.. -A bow meant for war, or just a bow heavy enough to penetrate armour, or does it also have to have one specific design..?

No to me it does not have to be of any specific design just that it was intended for war and not intended for hunting and as an adjunct used for war. The "molly" design exists in a single small fragment from Denmark, which is thought by some to be a light child's bow, the South Anderman Island bows (which are of somewhat similar shape) and despite being "man sized" are also relatively light hunting bows. The English and Welsh, the Turks, the Arabs, the tartars and the Cherokee Native Americans made war bows, bows that were distinct from their normal hunting bow. It is also likely a host of others did as well.

As for being certain it was used for war, I would not be so adamant, as I said only one fragment has been found of that design. Given the predilection of the a "ancient Danes" to offering/depositing weapons of war into bogs, swamps and lakes, one would have expected to see more of the design turning up if it were used as a warbow.

Craig.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 04:36:32 am »
how about this, it may not have been traditionally used for war, but if someone tries to take over my house, you can bet it will be used for war against them, whether the enemy is 1 or 1000 8)
noel

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 04:41:52 am »
how about this, it may not have been traditionally used for war, but if someone tries to take over my house, you can bet it will be used for war against them, whether the enemy is 1 or 1000 8)
noel

;D

Offline Ian.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 06:58:46 am »
Get cracking then unless your going to beat them to death with a stave.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/