Author Topic: Need Red Cedar Staves or Boards. Have Osage.  (Read 3513 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Need Red Cedar Staves or Boards. Have Osage.
« on: April 27, 2011, 08:46:00 pm »
Looking to trade possibly osage for Red Cedar, preferably close grain cedar.  Bark on would be fine.  Would also consider sawn boards that could be backed.

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline DEllis

Re: Need Red Cedar Staves or Boards. Have Osage.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:06:13 pm »
I have a nice long stave of rocky mountain juniper that is quite straight if you are interested.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:00:44 pm »
You still looking for some ERC. I got some staves. Id trade ya for Osage. I just actually finished up a hickory backed ERC a few weeks ago with the same staves from the same tree. It pulls 52@25"  and it was my worst stave...a firepile saver. I didn't expect it to last but it did. So I know the woods good. Its not super tight rings but I have two primo clean staves 84" long with only a few small pin knots. The tree grew hard against another bigger tree so it yielded a nice clean side and im gonna cut the bigger one down too so I have one to give up for sure. Here's a link to my bow if you wanna see the wood. http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/44103/hickory-backed-eastern-red-cedar

Bark is still on and seasoned ready to be manifested into a looker of a bow. If you need further convincing I can post a photo of the stave later when I get home from work.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:00:15 am »
I'm curious, how do you guys get staves from ERC? Do you use limbs? I have tryed to cut and get wood from the trunk but the sapwood is always extremely thick... I haven't found a usable limb yet. But I haven't much ERC down here either, theres some, but it's just not everywhere.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:30:25 am »
Mine are splits from a trunk. If you want heartwood in the bow(which is what most people want) then you need to find a big enough diameter trunk. The sapwood varied from spot to spot and stave to stave on mine from a half inch thick to an inch thick.

I have to give the benefit of the doubt to the man who asked,but if he doesn't respond in awhile then id be willing to trade ya for some Osage if you have any for trade.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:21:02 am »
Blackhawk:

I am interested in your ERC stave.  What kind of osage bow are you looking to make.  I have staves both straight and snaky.  Long or short.  Most all of my osage is over 10 years seasoned.  Thank you for replying and for your patience.  Life got in the way for the last few days and I haven't been able to logon.

Matt
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:11 am »
Hi Matt.....ill post some pics after work today so u can have a looksy. Off the top of my head it should yield a half heartwood half sapwood bow,but wood depend on what type of bow you wanna make,so it could be more for a shorter bow that was sinewed for example. What ya looking to make?       Not to sure yet on what type of Osage id want. Ill have to ponder that one cus I do have a few staves of Osage but I def could use some more.

No prob in taking a few days to reply....I understand and these staves are still sitting in my mancave going nowhere.

Chris

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:20:54 pm »
Here's some photos of the stave. I forgot this one is actually 93" long at the moment. Ten inches can b cut off each end and I laid out and measured a nice 2 1/2" wide 72"+ long section for a bow. Plenty of wood to lay out a bow with.

The other(butt end) of the stave. You can see a marbling of sapwood sandwiched in between the heartwood. Cool stuff

Here's some photos of the stave. I forgot this one is actually 93" long at the moment. Ten inches can b cut off each end and I laid out and measured a nice 2 1/2" wide 72"+ long section for a bow. Plenty of wood to lay out a bow with.

The other(butt end) of the stave. You can see a marbling of sapwood sandwiched in between the heartwood. Cool stuff

I tried to get a photo of the back where the 72"+ clean section lays.

Let me know if u have any more questions. Thanks.... Chris

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:11:22 pm »
   Mwirwicki....are you still interested?

Its been two weeks and haven't heard anything back from ya.

Let me know otherwise ill repost a new thread and see if anyone else wants to trade me for Osage or yew for my stave.